3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

disappearing antifreeze

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 07:58 AM
PowerDodge07
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default disappearing antifreeze

Hey guys I wondered if anyone has any ideas on what is goin on here:
I filled my antifreeze to the max line in the resevoir about two months ago, and when i checked it this evening and it was down to the min line in the resevoir. I havent noticed any antifreeze on the ground under the truck where i park it and i cant find any leaks from just looking it over. I have noticed that when I get walk in front of the truck right after driving it i can usually smell antifreeze a little bit, but im pretty sure its normal to at least smell it a lil bit. I also havent noticed any white smoke coming out the exhaust so i dont think its burning it. Any ideas?
Thanks alot guys!

Old 07-02-2008, 08:30 AM
mustang_170556
Professional
Default RE: disappearing antifreeze

i would have to say that it's burning it. to go down that much in two months would not be enough to createany whitesmoke.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:36 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

the resevoir level fluctuates with running condition. when you filled it up, was the truck running?
run it, drive it, fill it up, run it drive it, check it again. if it's full, then you know you filled it up. then wait two months and see if it went down again.

but going down that much in 2 months, nothing to worry about really as long as you're not seeing a drop in performance or mpg. if it starts losing more and you lose mpg, it's a blown head gasket. what year, engine, miles?

Old 07-02-2008, 08:42 AM
PowerDodge07

2003 5.9 w/107k...when i filled it up i did the steps you was talkin about also.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:46 AM
sschevy400
Professional

You should NOT smell any antifreeze also....find where that smell is coming from, and start by fixing that. I doubt you're burning it with only 100k on it....

Old 07-02-2008, 12:23 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The smell does mean it is buring, but most likely outside the engine, which is a good thing. This is also why you do not see it on the drive, it is probably burning before making a puddle.

Look on all your hot areas for white residue, then look up from that point to find the leak.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:30 PM
mmstar23
Champion

yep, check areas in the engine for white residue. i had this happen to me when i first got it. it was actually a ver small hole, actually not even a hole, but where the plastic sides of the radiator meet the metal, the plastic was pushed out a little bit, allowing the antifreeze to squirt out, but it was so minor that it had to be about 2000 rpms for it to have enough pressure to shoot out. what made it worse was it was hitting my fan and just kicking it everywhere.....making it harder to notice. i smelt antifreeze and never saw it on my driveway neither. all in all, after a little while i had to fix the radiator, the guys were able to fix it with just replaceing the side plastic caps and doing something inside...cost $80

Old 07-02-2008, 12:32 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

One other thing to check, your carpet, make sure it is not wet.

Quick Reply: disappearing antifreeze