3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Another Train Horn Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 07:30 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Another Train Horn Thread

I'll get you some picks this weekend. I have to change my oil so I will be under there anyway. Not going to do it until Saturday though, so be patient.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:54 PM
bfred
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no problem, leaving town for the weekend anyway. thanks

Old 07-08-2008, 12:54 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

Got a couple of pics for you. The first pic is another one from the top. You can see how I routed the air hose through the frame to protect it from whatever may happen near the engine and tires. The hose exits the frame near the rear of the front doors and then back to the bed.

The second pic is from underneath. Here you will be able to see how mine are bolted on. My horns had 2 bolt hole for mounting and the front cross member of the frame is hollow so I just used that. The power wire for the solenoid is also routed through that same frame rail to the left headlight and then out and up to the battery. Also keep in mind that my horns aren;t that long. The longest horn is only 16 inches. If your horns are any longer, you will have to bolt them on sideways on the same frame rail. That was my first way of doing it until I thought about pointing them straight to the ground to get it to echo off the concrete. and last, no you can not see my horns from anywhere on the truck unless you are under it or have the hood up.

Pic 1

[IMG]local://upfiles/61252/84ECD389693E45FDA1656F50C37B529B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-08-2008, 12:56 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

pic 2

[IMG]local://upfiles/61252/E68ABCCF56CD497C94D185429BF849C5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-08-2008, 07:34 PM
bfred

yeah, mine is different so I had to mount the horns under the floor on the back driver side. I know what everything else does, I do not know what to do with the solenoid. I am really at a loss here.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:49 PM
heavyduty1983
Professional

i have a 99 dodge and i put a train horn on mine, i just dont know how much room yall have on yalls as opposed to where i put mine, the tank and pumps r in my bed under a bedcover, so i figure i could just give u a suggestion as to where to put the horn

[IMG]local://upfiles/89815/253CB9FA2A2B4C6EB47FB3665CDE8614.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-09-2008, 01:15 AM
bfred

anyone have pictures of how to do the solenoid? That would be great if someone can help me out on that one. TIA

Old 07-09-2008, 07:45 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

I am assuming that Seige gave you the solenoid separate from the horns, am I right? If this is true, you're going to want to install the solenoid as close to the horns as possible. I mean right next to it if you can. The reason is, if the solenoid is to far away from the trumpets, you will have have a delay when you press the button to sound the horn and when you let go of the button, the horn will die out with the sound instead of just cutting straight off. Don't worry about the weather or possile damage from other elements as the solenoid is already incased for protection. The brass base is a thick block to protect the airway path and the coil is also covered by a brass shell with a gasket to keep the elements out.

Most solenoids have a threaded hole on the bottom so that you can mount it somewhere and it won't move. If not, I would use a professional grade silicone adhesive to mount it to the top portion of frame (assuming you can put your trumpets where I have mine), and once you have the tubing screwed into the solenoid, you will have good ends from the compression fittings to zip tie it to the frame for added support.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:46 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

ORIGINAL: heavyduty1983

i have a 99 dodge and i put a train horn on mine, i just dont know how much room yall have on yalls as opposed to where i put mine, the tank and pumps r in my bed under a bedcover, so i figure i could just give u a suggestion as to where to put the horn

[IMG]local://upfiles/89815/253CB9FA2A2B4C6EB47FB3665CDE8614.jpg[/IMG]

Can't put the horns there on our trucks as that is where our airbox is at...

Quick Reply: Another Train Horn Thread