3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hitch Receiver question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008 | 06:41 PM
pcollins
|
Veteran
Default Hitch Receiver question

I have a 2005 QC Ram1500 2wd, and am very close to buying a Mopar Class III receiver to put on my truck (part#82207911). I was just wondering if anyone had any first-hand advice before I decide to take the project on.

This is the receiver i am looking at: http://www.conquestauto.com/servlet/...l?sfs=f9e4df6c
(Should I be looking for a Class III or Class IV?)

I am trying to get an idea of how difficult the project would be for me. I am college kid with minimal auto mechanic experience (I can change the oil, haha). Just really looking to save from the dealership installation fee. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

*In case it is relevant, I have a catback dual exhaust (1 exiting out behind each rear tire); Spare tire is still intact under bumper; And a tow package came with the truck, just no receiver hitch.

Old 07-06-2008 | 06:45 PM
Matt99
Champion
Default RE: Hitch Receiver question

hey man, i put one on after i got my exhaust put on, no problem (just let them cool down before you get down there!)
Its very self explanitory, just a few bolts...there will be wires with spring ends to hold on to the bolt as it goes down the receiver, thats the hardest part...I put it on in less than 15minutes

Old 07-06-2008 | 06:48 PM
pcollins
|
Veteran

Matt,
Thanks for your reply. Is your receiver a class III or class IV, and how much did it run you when you bought it, if you remember?

Thanks man

Old 07-06-2008 | 06:50 PM
DeWalt378G
Record Breaker

yeah should be cake. torque wrench would be good if you have one. otherwise, make it as tight as you can.

Old 07-06-2008 | 07:05 PM
Matt99
Champion

it came with locking washers, so i just got one of those commercial box ends and used a cheater pipe to cinch it down good...mine is class III, and its not Mopar, i think its Reese (cost about 250 i believe)...mine came with picture instructions, and if yours didnt i'll take pics of what it looks like and post them

Old 07-06-2008 | 07:30 PM
pcollins
|
Veteran

That would be great if you don't mind. Thanks Matt

Old 07-06-2008 | 07:51 PM
Matt99
Champion

maybe thisll help...and the ones that go throught that bent pipe, you thread that bolt onto the spring wire, and fish it down the pipe...
you'll see a hole about 5 inches up the pipe, just slip it down and let it fall out of the holes of the bottom...install the easy two bolts first (the ones with the rectangle washers in my pics) and then the rear two...Ive towed a million times, no problems, never a loose bolt on it

it wont let me put them on here, so heres a link to one, look at the album!
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...h/CIMG1631.jpg

Old 07-06-2008 | 08:07 PM
pcollins
|
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Matt99

maybe thisll help...and the ones that go throught that bent pipe, you thread that bolt onto the spring wire, and fish it down the pipe...
you'll see a hole about 5 inches up the pipe, just slip it down and let it fall out of the holes of the bottom...install the easy two bolts first (the ones with the rectangle washers in my pics) and then the rear two...Ive towed a million times, no problems, never a loose bolt on it

it wont let me put them on here, so heres a link to one, look at the album!
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...h/CIMG1631.jpg
Matt,
Those help a bunch. Thanks again

Old 07-06-2008 | 08:15 PM
Matt99
Champion

thats what the forum is for!

Old 07-06-2008 | 09:39 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

You already have a class III hitchon your truck....it's tucked under the bumper and bolted on the frame without a receiver. That receiver you're thinking about buying is exactly that...just the receiver. It bolts to the bottom on the class III hitch which makes it a class IV...I dunno why dodge did it like that but they did. Most guys get the received bolted on from the factory so they never know the difference.

Here's some pics of mine when it was new and it didn't have any tow group options or anything. Notice the part that sticks out under the bumper...putting a ball through the middle hole in the bumper uses the hitch. That's why the bumper has a 5,000lbs/500 tongue capacity.

Name:  hitch002.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  47.3 KB

Name:  hitch001.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  69.3 KB

Name:  hitch009.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  64.9 KB

Quick Reply: Hitch Receiver question