3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ac condenser fan motor

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 11:14 PM
ruffnready5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ac condenser fan motor

Well I played the fuse replacement game three times over about 3 years,and thefan motors nowtoast. I was plannining on replacing the fan motor this weekend. I figured thatI would drill a few holes in the bottom of the shroud (while I had itout) to prevent further ice formation in the bottom of the shroud, (nice design Mr. Mopar). Is there any surprises to be prepared for? It looks like the condenser unbolts from the shroud, and the fan unbolts from the shroud. I can't see what hold the fan on the motor shaft. I found a replacement motor (Factory Air)for 87.00 and another store had one (Siemens) for 95.00. I think Dodge has one for about 95.00 also. Any special tools needed? The picture of the replacement part made it look like a "C" clip holds the fan on but those pics don't always match the part.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:49 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: ac condenser fan motor

What year truck? Why is ice forming on the condensor? It shouldn't do that!!

Old 07-08-2008, 03:40 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, Ice doesn't form due to the condenser lxman1.
What happens is a pool/puddle of water form at the bottom of the AC radiator shroud.
Then, when an extremely cold snap ocurrs. The water freezes in the bottom.
Next time you switch on your AC, the fan baldes are frozen solid in the ice. BANG the fuse blows.
It's a poor design and there is a TSB to include not only a new fan shroud, but also a new motor and electrical pigtail.
As for the way the fan attaches to the motor ruffnready5, you're right. There is a "C" clip that you just prise/pop off.
Don't forget that you don't have to discharge the AC system to remove the faan and shroud.
Just cut away a little of the plasticfan shroud at the top of where the AC lines run. Unbolt the AC shroud etc and the gently wiggle and remove the shroud.
Takes a little time, but it's doable and very satisfying to know that youv'e saved a few hundred dollars labour and parts etc.
Hope this helps?

Al.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:05 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

OK, that makes more sense

Quick Reply: ac condenser fan motor