3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

i'm burnin' the clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Tat2dGuy01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i'm burnin' the clutch

newb dodge owner here. i have an 07 4.7L QC. 37K miles I tow a 6x12 utility trailer. whenever i back the trailer in next to the house, i have to take it real slow as there is very little room. in the process, i am burning the clutch. i have had no issues with the clutch other than just those times i am backing in. how long can i continue this? how long will the clutch hold up? any way to avoid burning it out quickly? any and all advice is appreciated.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:44 PM
sschevy400
Professional
Default RE: i'm burnin' the clutch

Not to sound like an ***, but why are you burning it up? If you use the clutch correctly, you would not be burning it up. Reverse is your lowest gear....you shouldnt need much gas to back up...

My s-10 blazer went 160k on a stock clutch....I towed my banshees and snow mobile all over with it....I had it replaced because the rear of the intake started leaking and leaked down the block onto the clutch and it started chattering.....

Old 07-08-2008, 02:01 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1^^^^^

Old 07-08-2008, 02:37 PM
epegasus
Rookie

If we're talking about a manual tranny, he is burning it up because he is riding it. Trust the force, dude. Gradually let it all the way out and use the low ratio reverse gear to guide that sum-'ich in there. Practice make perfect...tears up a bunch of stuff but eventually perfect.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:15 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

Reverse in the 6 speed is like 3.8:1, and 1st is about 4.2:1.

In my Dak with 3.21 rear gears, I can start in 1st or R on flat ground without touching the gas; gotta let it slip a bit, but those gears are way low. Once moving, it will troll along at idle as long as the ground is fairly flat. Add a bit of throttle and I barely slip to get moving. The V8 has more torque, so I think you are indeed underestimating the power of the force.

Also, in my experience, if I need to go real slow, lugging the engine down to 500-600 RPM in 1st or R for a short period of time is no big deal. You'll feel a bit of vibration come on, but it's better than revving and roasting your clutch.

I'd try to get the trailer lined up as best as possible, get the clutch all the way out, and just let the motor chug along at 600 RPM as you guide it in.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:45 PM
sschevy400
Professional

ORIGINAL: cramerica

Reverse in the 6 speed is like 3.8:1, and 1st is about 4.2:1.

In my Dak with 3.21 rear gears, I can start in 1st or R on flat ground without touching the gas; gotta let it slip a bit, but those gears are way low. Once moving, it will troll along at idle as long as the ground is fairly flat. Add a bit of throttle and I barely slip to get moving. The V8 has more torque, so I think you are indeed underestimating the power of the force.

Also, in my experience, if I need to go real slow, lugging the engine down to 500-600 RPM in 1st or R for a short period of time is no big deal. You'll feel a bit of vibration come on, but it's better than revving and roasting your clutch.

I'd try to get the trailer lined up as best as possible, get the clutch all the way out, and just let the motor chug along at 600 RPM as you guide it in.
I was not aware they were doing that....interesting....

Old 07-08-2008, 03:51 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

R - 3.84:1
1st - 4.23:1

Nice-n-low, great for moving slowly and precisely.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:22 PM
tigman250
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Tat2dGuy01

newb dodge owner here. i have an 07 4.7L QC. 37K miles I tow a 6x12 utility trailer. whenever i back the trailer in next to the house, i have to take it real slow as there is very little room. in the process, i am burning the clutch. i have had no issues with the clutch other than just those times i am backing in. how long can i continue this? how long will the clutch hold up? any way to avoid burning it out quickly? any and all advice is appreciated.

do you have a riding lawnmower? if so use that to back it in.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:34 AM
Tat2dGuy01

thanx for all the responses. i am backing the trailer on an upward slope. i have 5 inches of clearance on each side. when i am in reverse and let the clutch completely out, i am still moving way to quickly. also, when i let the clutch completely out, and i get to a really low rpm, the truck wants to die, so i'm back on the clutch.(catch 22) its been awhile since i have owned a manual tranny, but wtf? what am i doing wrong here? the lawnmower idea is great! just wish i had one. maybe i'll just use one of the quads.
thanx again!

Old 07-09-2008, 12:38 PM
kenihemi
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like too much throttle and a light touch on the clutch. Try bring the r's down and go a little faster.

Quick Reply: i'm burnin' the clutch