3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

overheating problem I keep getting a P1281 code

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 10:31 PM
RAMNTHRU
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating problem I keep getting a P1281 code

Hello everyone my names izzy and im a new member of DF. ive havent posted just reading through post. after post
and well know i have a problem with my truck. The problem is i keep getting a P1281 Code on my truck its a 2002 dodge ram 1500 4x4 with a 5.9.. my truck has been having a over heating issue since last year i live in las Vegas so i know its hard on these engines... i have been having overheating issues with the truckive changed the t-stat that it was bad shut tight and got a brand new fail safe t-stat 180T.. drove it for a good while notice my engine temp was going over almost 3rd of the way then i got the p1281 code changed it out again while winter time it tripped again this time i flushed my radiator and motor out just to check for blockage.. now summer time again my trucks been to the point while 30 to 45min driving the temp gauge goes up 3/4 of the way so i noticed the fan clutch was out ran it for 2 weeks seemed fine now yesterday i drove it i saw for the first time it wen a little over the midway temp.. and today i get a p1281 code now.. i wanted to see what would you guys say could be the problem im thinking either radiator is bad or water pump is no longer good also been told to take a pressure test what steps should i take... could you guys give me some tips or any help that i could use.. i dont like taking the truck to a shop because alot of them out here rip you off bad but im really thinking of doing it..

[IMG]local://upfiles/73283/A89A8ED77E174FD482F0C61303FA977C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-10-2008, 12:57 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: overheating problem I keep getting a P1281 code

Does it get hot more at highway speeds or cruising in town?
If highway, like 65mph, then the radiator is partially clogged and needs replaced. I went thru this last summer with a friends 97. It cooked the motor twice and I ended up putting a 5.9L (360) in it. It still got hot until I installed a new radiator and it hasn't gotten over 1/2 way up yet.(about 200), Even with the a/c on.

Quick Reply: overheating problem I keep getting a P1281 code