3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

story that'll make you cringe...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Redbud66
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: story that'

dang, these things seem to be accident magnets...Mine has been hit 3 times since I bought it just over a year ago

Old 08-04-2008, 04:51 AM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: story that'

I think the Ram is pretty tough...a couple months ago I got rear ended by, of all things, a Toyota Prius. He learned the hard way that the tow hitch receiver is not a bumper. He tore the hell out of his front fascia and hood, and I drove away without a scratch. Although I haven't back into anything...yet. Sorry to hear about your truck throberts, bet you won't do that again!

Old 08-04-2008, 11:01 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jstmahoney
Sorry to hear that too! Crap! Was it a mail box one of those that are all stone/brick, or just a post w/ a box?

I did that a couple months ago whilst backing out of a friend's driveway. Never even saw the thing. There were bricks scattered all the way across his driveway. I got a small dent in my rear bumper (color-matched for the Sport package), but that's about it. I like to think of it as *character*...

Old 08-04-2008, 11:52 PM
jstmahoney
Captain
Smile

Now i can finally post!

Sorry to hear that too! Crap! Was it a mail box one of those that are all stone/brick, or just a post w/ a box? Id like to see the damage too. Things are expensive to repair these days, a friend's Infiniti I35 got a finder binder, and it was a little over 1K, My finder binder on my truck was a little over $800. Sounds like you need to do a backup camera mod!! lol
Name:  DSCN0366-2.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  32.6 KB

Old 08-05-2008, 12:07 AM
hemi348

haha funny you say that, I crushed the rear of a mini van when i got my 03, all i had was a ding in the bumper. He had a huge crush in his rear fold up acess door. I drove home thinking I hit a curb (thats how lite it seemed). Next day I saw his mini van and I was like Holy !!!! lol!

Old 08-05-2008, 02:27 AM
epegasus
Rookie
Default story that'll make you cringe...

Reminds me of my first experience with the Black Hole that is the blind spot behind the A-pillar of these monsters. My original '97 RAM had a tendency to find invisible concrete poles that are placed in the middle of parking lots 8-). The first one rung up over 9 grand in twisted control arms, steering components and frame damage. In fact, they had to replace the entire frame because the pole caught the tire as I was making a U-turn and pulled the front end alignment totally out of whack and torquing the frame. Tagged another one while cutting through a parking lot trying to get around an accident. I SWEAR THAT POLE WAS NOT THERE A SECOND AGO!! Been pretty lucky with the '02 RAM. A few close calls with the crappy ABS. I've had a couple of total rear end lock-ups (complete with all the screeching and howling I could stand). Got better after I put the 22"s on, though.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:05 AM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

epagasus, I totally know what you mean by the black hole behind the a-pillar. The road through my development has a lot of odd curves and median planters you have to weave through, and a lot of neighborhood kids out playing. I have to be super careful not to lose a kid in the black hole and crush em, and always end up doing 10mph rather than 25 (the speed limit). Better to be safe than sorry there, especially with kids, cuz hell, I've lost freakin' cars behind that pillar before.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:42 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Got stuck having to take my truck over about 300 miles of 15 mph mountain switchback roads in eastern Tennessee last month when I-40 was closed down in both directions (Hooray, road trips!). There is no looking "through the corners" in these trucks with that A-pillar! I ended up with my head out the window like a dog just so I could see through the hairpin I was on.

Beautiful roads for motorcycles. Ugly roads for 4x4 QC Dodge Rams...

Old 08-07-2008, 12:02 AM
throberts
Professional
Default update

thanks for sharing the experiences....sorry I didn't get any pics up...I had into the dealer fairly quickly, I actually saw her today with the drivers side all tore down. They're really doing a good job though, glad I took it back to the dealer body shop. It's taking a bit longer due to them having to order new skins for both doors on the drivers side, also had to take down the spray in liner over the bed rail for new paint then respray. We laughed a bit talking about it....not a ton of visible damage...just a whole lot of truck to fix and paint. Said it was actually pretty common when people buy these long trucks they're not used to, alot of sub 5k mileage body work in that shop....glad to know I'm not alone.
The mailbox I plowed over was actually a steel pillar box set in concrete...what did in the door skins was one large dented in streak all the way down the drivers side. They are telling me it'll be done Wed or Thurs this week. We'll see.....like what I see from the work thus far...very detail oriented, heck there was just a small dime sized dinger in the rear bumper, pitched the whole thing for new. Can't go wrong with a shop with direct access to Mopar.

Quick Reply: story that'll make you cringe...