3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sitting at a red light and a Subaru runs into the back of my 2500HD going 35mph!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 01:51 PM
MEINEKEMAN1
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jstmahoney
Glad you guys were all safe! Our rams may not be the best on gas, but whenever the whole family goes somewhere, it's always in the Ram, cause it's the biggest, safest, I just feel safe in it. I hate the feeling of driving or even being in our Toyotas, I feel unsafe and helpless. My mom's friend rolled her 07 qc ram last November, and she came out with not even a scratch, and u should have seen the truck, it was rolled 5 or 6 times.
i think i have a pic:
Damn,that sucks.Great to hear she was ok though.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Mancunian
Rookie

Now let me guess - the driver was sending a text message, using a phone or playing with music - possibly all three. I am very happy for you and yours for the outcome. I have twin 19 year old boys. One is a great driver, the other is a disaster area and is grounded until he gets his own insurance. Both of them seem to suffer from a generation Y attention deficit
Steve

Old 08-06-2008, 05:14 PM
BIG HOOK
Professional

Glad to hear your family is OK.

A good example of the safety of the Rams - or full size pickups in general.

A face full of bumper to those who aren't paying attention. That's an automatic ticket for inattentive driving in Wisconsin.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:09 PM
justntexas07
Veteran

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
isn't the new pathfinder huge also?

They are bigger, but the bumper is much lower to the ground than my truck. If that POS would have hit us while we were in the Pathfinder, there would have been much more damage than the same car going up under the rear end of my truck.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:24 PM
dafaic

Well I can relate. I was hit May 29th. Truck was 6 weeks old and only had 2800 miles. Stupid A**hole infront of me decided he was going to pull a night at the roxbury and check his hair in every mirror in his truck. I reached back to hammer on the horn and BAM! Next thing I know I am holding the steering wheel going what happened.

Got out of the truck dazed. Almost didn't get the girls insurance. She never hit the brakes and hit me with a 06/07 Ford Explorer. I had my hitch on so it pierced her bumper but that was it.

About a month later pulled in the drive in the wifes charger and noticed the bumper was hanging. So I called and filed a claim on her insurance. Cost to repair almost $1200 for bumper, bumper brackets, hitch, and frame cross tie member.

A week later I realized I was hurt after doing a 3 hour gutter job that took me a week to recover from.

I have soft tissue damage in the neck and reverse curvature of the spine in my neck...

Apparantly I blacked out momentarily from the impact. I drove home with pretty severe headache and I should have called the cops and took a ride in the flashing van.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:55 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by justntexas07
They are bigger, but the bumper is much lower to the ground than my truck. If that POS would have hit us while we were in the Pathfinder, there would have been much more damage than the same car going up under the rear end of my truck.
I hope everyone learns from this. I think I needed another reminder myself. you like the ram over the pathfinder cuz its heavier and the rear bumper is higher. we also gotta realize that all that makes us much more dangerous to other people on the road. tbone someone in a sedan with a ram, it's lights out. Having a truck demands attention and responsibility. I barely speed now.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:09 PM
Johnboy7701
Rookie

Glad to hear your ok... and I never speed in the ram... gas sucks too much... and Im a drivers training instructor in the army and I teach my students not too so I dont either... lead by example I guess...

Old 08-06-2008, 11:28 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dafaic
Well I can relate. I was hit May 29th. Truck was 6 weeks old and only had 2800 miles. Stupid A**hole infront of me decided he was going to pull a night at the roxbury and check his hair in every mirror in his truck. I reached back to hammer on the horn and BAM! Next thing I know I am holding the steering wheel going what happened.

Got out of the truck dazed. Almost didn't get the girls insurance. She never hit the brakes and hit me with a 06/07 Ford Explorer. I had my hitch on so it pierced her bumper but that was it.

About a month later pulled in the drive in the wifes charger and noticed the bumper was hanging. So I called and filed a claim on her insurance. Cost to repair almost $1200 for bumper, bumper brackets, hitch, and frame cross tie member.

A week later I realized I was hurt after doing a 3 hour gutter job that took me a week to recover from.

I have soft tissue damage in the neck and reverse curvature of the spine in my neck...

Apparantly I blacked out momentarily from the impact. I drove home with pretty severe headache and I should have called the cops and took a ride in the flashing van.
My wife was sideswiped at low speed by a Kenworth back in March. Decent amount of damage to her Nissan Xterra, but she was shaken but fine... at the time. The next day she couldn't even get out of bed. Here it is well into August and she still suffers daily from back problems, has gotten injections, and it has generally made her life miserable. Insurance isn't a problem, since she is in the military, but it may end up impacting her career if her back doesn't get better soon. I can't imagine how someone with low to no insurance and an hourly job would deal.

If you are in an accident, get checked out.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:01 AM
epegasus
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mystro
I hear ya. My wife has a Jeep cheerokee and I thought the same thing.
I had that very accident in my wifes Cherokee Limited. Guy hit us while we waited at a light. The impact was huge, though. I had whiplash and my wife was sore for a couple of weeks. The guy just plowed right into us. The Jeep needed a good bit of repair but wasn't totaled. The guy's Accord was toast.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:15 PM
zfshrmn
Smile

Good to hear ur family is ok.

I know what u guys mean my wife has an GMC envoy and every time we go out we take my truck, I used to have a Z71 extended cab but deep inside I knew I needed to get bigger because we have two to kids boy is 2 1/2 and the girl will be 1 in a couple of days, so anyway I went and got me a megacab and I put some 35's so unless is bigger then my truck I feel that my family is safe on my truck and if they r safe who care about gas prices because my family being safe is priceless for me.

Quick Reply: Sitting at a red light and a Subaru runs into the back of my 2500HD going 35mph!!