3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2003 Ram 2500 on the Chopping blocks...I need help guys!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 06:55 AM
philmays
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Ram 2500 on the Chopping blocks...I need help guys!

OK, I don't post here much but have found this sight extremely helpful in the past.

My problem: We reduced our cars from 4 to 3 and bought a new Crossfire and lost a mini van. We have a 7 and 9 year old. Our other car is an 2006 Expedition which I love

My wife thinks I should get a smaller SUV (can't due to drastic depreciation on the expedition ) and trade the 2500 in for a Toyota Carolla .

Well she just hates the truck...I've put 315 x 70 x 17" KO's on the truck with aftermarket wheels to better accomodate these tires. These tires caused an already bad riding (stiff) truck to ride even worse.

These are the quick fixes I'm trying for project "SAVE THE TRUCK".

1) New Rancho Steering Stabilizer
2) New Rancho or Bilstein shocks
3) Install a quiter muffler

My next question is this. With the larger tires, how would a HYPERTECH or SUPERCHIPS control mudule help with the transmission in shifting to accomodate these larger tires.

The gearing is 3:73 on a 2500 and 1500 have a 3:96 which I don't understand. I was considering 4:56 gears, but that is $1,500 and we just don't have anyone in my area that is good at it.

BTW, my wife LOVED the new Cool Vanilla Chrome truck that I COULD get. The factory incentives are awsome right now, but honestly, this truck is almost paid off and I only have 51,000 gentle miles on a 2003...I really don't won't the new car payments and added debt.

Anything I'm missing to try? Thanks in advance with your help on....PROJECT....SAVE THE TRUCK!

Phil

Old 08-07-2008, 07:34 AM
sos
All Star

Well here's one thing you can tell her to save your truck: It's almost paid off, and if you trade it in, you will get next to nothing for it, plus add a monthly car payment. Some dealers are not even accepting trucks as trade anymore. If you can't afford $1500 for a gear change, how does she expect you to pay another monthly payment? If your truck is in good condition, I say keep it, pay it off, and use the money you save for gas. You are not going to make out by selling/trading it for a new car. I am guessing she got the Crossfire, so if she's happy with her new vehicle, why does she have to make you give up yours?

Old 08-07-2008, 08:09 AM
philmays
Rookie

The $1,500 isn't the problem, but what is is if someone does a crap job.

But you'r right on target with the Crossfire. She had leased one and the lease was expiring. She loves the little car so much that we considered buying it out right but at the last minute I decided to buy her a new 2008.

However, that car is about as worthless as a raincoat in a hurricane. So my cars came up...LOL! I love all of my cars, so, the truck is the one vehicle that is somewhat a discretionary vehicle at this point.

Anyway, if I can make it look better to the wifey, I may be OK. I don't think she'll ever drive it though.

Quick Reply: 2003 Ram 2500 on the Chopping blocks...I need help guys!