3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LED Tailgate Strip

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 03:48 PM
jchuchla
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Tailgate Strip

Has anyone installed any of these tailgate LED strips on their 3rd gen ram? I've been thinking about it for my 08, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I want to put it in the void between the tailgate and bumper, but I'm a bit curious about that hole for the spare crank rod. If I put one of these strips on, will it cover that hole and make cranking down the spare a challenge? I've been looking online and found several products ranging from $20-$100. Does anyone have a brand or model to reccomend?

Here's some of what i've seen online

http://www.buyautotruckaccessories.c...unning-lights/

http://www.pickupspecialties.com/LED..._light_bar.htm

http://www.gorecon.com/product.php?p...e+Bar&p_cat=26

Any advice or tips is welcome.

Thanks

Old 08-08-2008, 04:35 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've not used the tailgate lights, but myself and a host of others here have purchased and installed the cab roof lights that Recon makes. Very good quality at a good price.
I believe members of this forum still get a discount, if I'm not mistaken when you purchase there is a space for a coupon code and (others will correct me if I'm wrong, as I bought mine long before the discount applied) you type in "DodgeForum"...

Old 08-08-2008, 07:46 PM
mmstar23
Champion

hammer, dodgeforum promotion code is correct for recon.

as for the light bars, recon makes a high quality one thats is nice. have seen them on a few trucks, but one i have seen recently is made by bully. its $79 and what cool about it is that not only is it fire and ice ( red, and white for reverse) but the turn signal shoots across from the half way point, like how modern ambulances have turn signals, instead of the conventional half side blinks for the turn signal. cheaper and something different in a good way

Old 08-08-2008, 07:56 PM
mmstar23
Champion

something like this, but im not sure the turn signal is amber

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDqDAPMO_Wc&NR=1

Old 08-08-2008, 08:37 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My truck has an older unit (marker, brake and turn signal). It was on when I bought the truck, so I don't know about installation difficulties, if any. No problem with obstruction of the spare tire winch, though. I like the unit. It would be cool, I think, to have one that provides more information (chasing lamps for turn signals and different colors for different signals). I may look into one that chases.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:20 PM
SmokeySportRam
Captain

i have a line of fire light on my 3rd gen...check the signature for a link to pics.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:15 PM
Vandersnoot
Professional

I have the RECON white lightning installed on my truck, and when my stock wheel was stolen, I accessed my spare with no problem...

Old 08-08-2008, 11:47 PM
swinger525
Rookie

I have an Autolite version on my truck. It came with stupid double sided tape to install it, but because of my LineX I don't have a smooth body to attach the tape to.

I used stainless steel Nuts and bolts straight through the body, and when I need to get the spare tire out, I just have to undo three bolts.

I don't think its a big problem, as I have only needed the spare twice, and I have a complete set of tools on my truck all the time.

But yes, it can't be a pain, especially if I had decided to use the double sided tape feature.

I also went into the trailer 7-pin wire harness and added two extra 4 wire connectors, one runs my tailgate bar, and the other runs my 55watt reverse lights off a 30A relay. These extra connectors let me run my usual trailer and still have full control of my rear truck lighting.

Lots of light out back.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:28 AM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think RedRam05? did a DIY writeup for installing LED lightbars.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:18 PM
jchuchla

Ok I'm a bit confused on the various product offerings out there So far it's looking like there's 6 brands of these bars out there.

Recon makes the line of fire and white lightning. Their white lightning does reverse lights, but neither does scanning turn signals. From what i've read, it seems like recon gets the best reviews for quality.

Bully makes the firesrip which is red only and doesn't appear to scan.

Plasmaglow makes the FireStorm, which is red white and amber, and it appears that the amber does scan. it doesn't seem like they make a version with red instead of amber turn signals. They do also make the Fire & Ice which is red and white only, but doesn't seem to scan.

APC seems to make a Scanning red bar with white reverse. I can't seem to find any videos of it in action though, nor can I find a closeup of what the actual bar looks like.

Pacer makes a few bars but they appear to be red only.

Rampage makes both red and red/white bars. No scanning and they seem to be cheap.

So, what i'm really looking for is a bar in the quality of the recon, but with the scanning turn signals like the plasmaglow. But the scanning turn signals should be red (not amber). does this product exist? or am I just dreaming?

--Jon--

PS I tried searching and couldn't find the redram05 writeup.

Quick Reply: LED Tailgate Strip