3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A/C Questions Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 01:37 PM
maggfx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Questions Please Help

Being a little mecanically challenged I have a question. What can make a 06 Ram 1500 with 25k miles a/c low on freon?
Here is the situation.
I took my truck in because the a/c was not blowing air properly through the vents. It was not blowing hard enough and there was a clunking noise coming from p/s under dash. Also I told them that d/s was not blowing very cold. The dealer called and said it was done I came to pick it up and the air flow issue was solved as well as the clunking noise(they replaced the blower recert door,it was broken). But the a/c was still not blowing only that cold on d/s. They recheck it and said it was low on 134a freon. They charged the system and low side was now at 31 psi and high side was at 152psi. My main concern is why the system needed to be charged after only having 25k miles and never having a problem with the a/c before. Could this have a slow leak that is undetectable with a pressure test?

Old 08-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Vandersnoot
Professional

I dont have an answer for you, but my '06 with 21k on the Odometer has the same issues and is going to the dealer this week...

Old 08-09-2008, 02:58 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by maggfx
Being a little mecanically challenged I have a question. What can make a 06 Ram 1500 with 25k miles a/c low on freon?
Here is the situation.
I took my truck in because the a/c was not blowing air properly through the vents. It was not blowing hard enough and there was a clunking noise coming from p/s under dash. Also I told them that d/s was not blowing very cold. The dealer called and said it was done I came to pick it up and the air flow issue was solved as well as the clunking noise(they replaced the blower recert door,it was broken). But the a/c was still not blowing only that cold on d/s. They recheck it and said it was low on 134a freon. They charged the system and low side was now at 31 psi and high side was at 152psi. My main concern is why the system needed to be charged after only having 25k miles and never having a problem with the a/c before. Could this have a slow leak that is undetectable with a pressure test?
This wouldn't be the first case of low freon from the factory...

It could've been over charged also...which would show similar symptoms.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:26 PM
PopeyesBlueRam
Default Maybe this will help

I had the same problem as you but with over 60k miles on my '06 I didn't want to take it to the stealership since any repairs would be out of pocket. I read a few of the posts concerning the a/c problems and decided to take a look myself. My a/c on high would barely put any air out creating a very warm cab, especially in southwest Georgia in the middle of summer. I heard the clunk only once and then decreased air flow was the norm from then on.

I pulled the glove box out after pushing the sides in and lifted it out of the hinge slots. This allowed light to come in and be able to see the area better where the a/c vent on the p/s is. Nothing was really visible so I got brave and took the blower motor out after removing the 3 bolts. You have to hold the motor in your hand to support it. Once the motor was moved out of the way, there was the vent door that normally sits in the a/c vent sitting over the hole, blocking the air output. Once I realized that it wasn't going to go back where it belonged I broke it in half and pulled it out. Blower motor went back in, and the tada! the air flow was back. I still had the defroster, the floor vents, and the a/c. I'll include the pics to give a better idea. This worked for me, but I didn't want to go to the dealer. Hopefully you'll have luck should you want to try this. I tried it because I don't have to worry about the warranty, but I would have the dealer look for the real problem.

Attached Thumbnails A/C Questions Please Help-vent-door.jpg  
Attached Images    
Old 08-10-2008, 10:31 PM
PopeyesBlueRam

Sorry, didn't read that they fixed your recert door along with the recharge. I'll pay more attention to what I'm reading.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:39 PM
4.7mike

they pull the freon when they fix the door so they probably just forgot to fill it up

Quick Reply: A/C Questions Please Help