3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

AC fan

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 12:14 PM
mmstar23
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC fan

the fan in the dash, it appears to be right under the dash on the paasanger side. from what it looks like theres a few bolts that remove the fan? am i correct? nothing wrong with the fan, blows fine but its making a noise. actually i kind of know what the noise is from being a kid and sticking things in fan blades haha. sounds like a piece of paper...or something maybe even a leaf that barely sticking through and hitting the fan blades. i thought i could pull out the fan real quick and pull out whatevers hitting the blades..am i right? when the fans on high, its a very low ticking noise because the fans going faster and it almost sounds like a solid/constant noise. when the fan moves slower you can actually hear each blade hit whatever it is. like i said, sounds exactly like a fan blade hitting a piece of paper. i just want to know if my thinking of removing a few screw where the fan is will enable me to remove the fan and remove whatever the hell is hitting it

Old 08-12-2008, 01:10 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It does appear the fan comes out fairly easily. However, maybe you could try a shop vac to either try and pull the leaf (or whatever) down and out, or as a blower to push it further up, off the fan. Removed is better than relocated, of course.

Another course of action might be to block off all the vents 'cept one and try to vacuum the obstruction out that way. I have no idea which vent has the straightest path from the fan.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:55 PM
mmstar23
Champion

it looks really easy actually. guess the only way to find out is to remove a few screws and go from there. if it looks to get more and more complicated ill try the shop vac or blower method.

has anyone ever heard of something getting stuck in the fan blade where it makes that noise? im hoping its something as simple as that, atleast thats what it sounds like.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:07 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe I've heard that many times. A leaf or other trash gets in somehow and works its way to the fan, or flutters in the airstream. I usually just waited it out. It would fall out or in many cases, blow out.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:10 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

I've had that problem on my other truck...and it was leaves hitting the blades. I just dropped the fan and cleaned it out with a shop vac....was good to go and never happened again.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:37 AM
mmstar23
Champion

alright. wont have time for the rest of this week, once agin, something to do over the weekend. ive had it happen before, but it only lasted 15 minutes or so. its now been 2 days, and the sound is just buggin' the **** out of me. drop the fan and clean it out, maybe blow it out with my compreesor too.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:34 PM
mmstar23
Champion

took it out last week. extremely easy! 3 bolts and unplugged the harness and it was out. and sure enough, there was 2 leafs in the blades.

problem solved!!

Old 08-29-2008, 10:49 PM
MAX15004

A leaf, I bought a older dodge that appeared to be left out under a oak tree in Florida. a lot of it blow out to the pass. floorboard. If the vac. doesn't work you may want to try to reverse your shop vac. and try to blow the leaf out and down. It should come out at the pass. feet though the air cond vent. Good luck, This appears to be common problem if you leave the pass window down or it may be getting in while air is on.