3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Superchips Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 09:08 PM
philmays
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superchips Question

If I install this, will I be able to control shift points better? Will I be able to get the truck to drop to first gear faster than holding second gear.

My question is based on the fact that I have 315x70x17 tires and don't wan't to put 4:56 gears in right now....mostly due to lack of knowledgable people in my area.

I'm hoping a superchips tuner will help in my gearing.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:27 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Although the SC will firm up the tranny shifts considerable, it currently only allows you to set shift points (going up, not coming down) at WOT. I understand that they have no intentions of allowing other, citing that it will give them problems regarding their CARB certification.
Beyond gears, the only other option that I know of for you would be to get an SCT tuner and have a (or a couple, as it will hold three tunes plus your stock tune) custom tune done with shifts points at points where it'll help you.
The best way for it to be done is with information right off a dyno, based on your truck and it's modifications. Not cheap, but it can be done...

Old 08-13-2008, 09:37 PM
philmays
Rookie

Thanks Hammer, Sounds like I would be better off doing the gears.

I've just heard so many people speak about bad gear jobs, noisy, etc.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:43 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

What area are you from? I've got a performance shop by me that does a big business over the 'net. I mean not only performance parts but high HP engine builds. They have a pretty good list of installers they recommend all over, as it helps their sales big time if they have someone wanting something like a cam, and can recommend an installer in the area. Maybe I can email them and see if someone around you does gears.
It's a great mod, but yea, I'd be gun shy just letting anyone do it. Too many horror stories and to date, it's the only mod that I was afraid to try...

Old 08-14-2008, 07:15 AM
philmays
Rookie

Thanks Hammer, I'm in Danville, VA...but could take it to say Raleigh or Greensboro, NC.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:27 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Four Wheel Parts
7109 Glenwood Ave
Raleigh NC 27612
1-800-517-0989

I actually had mine done at a 4 Wheel Parts store in Florida. I think 'ole 'Nitto had his done at one out in Colorado.

They will undoubtedly quote you high, it seems to be their MO, but just like a car dealer, you can jack 'em down a good bit.
I was originally quoted about $1800 and by printing a couple prices off the 'net, they price matched, and got them to install the LSD for no charge since I was buying it from them and it's basically no extra time to install it once your working in the diff anyway. I ended up paying just over $1400 with tax for front & rear diffs, master install kit, Auburn LSD, install and a check up after 500 miles with fluid change.
'Nitto got them down from about the same high quote I got to about $1500, everything the same but a Detroit LSD which retails for about $100 more than the Auburn unit, so about the same deal...
You can take take about $350-$450 off those prices if you choose to not do the LSD...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 08-14-2008 at 08:29 AM.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:45 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by philmays
Thanks Hammer, I'm in Danville, VA...but could take it to say Raleigh or Greensboro, NC.
I know a good guy about 3 hours away from there. If you want the info pm me. He seems to be great. Everyone in this area has a very high praise for him. He did the lsd in my rear end.

----------------
Now playing: PBR All Stars - Stomp
via FoxyTunes

Old 08-14-2008, 09:46 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if I know anyone in that area that does gear swaps. Does The Shop in sobo do them?

Old 08-14-2008, 07:45 PM
HEMIslide
Rookie

Originally Posted by philmays
Curry's Auto Service in Northern Virginia does alot of performance work...and they do everything for all my vehicles (2008 Ram Sport (Hemi) / 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (Hemi). May be a bit closer...

http://www.currysauto.com/

Good luck.

-slide

Old 08-14-2008, 08:40 PM
philmays
Rookie

Thanks guys. What's an LSD? The only variation of that that I know of are from my college days...28 years ago...and it didn't cost that much

Quick Reply: Superchips Question