3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Just a couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 03:29 PM
rjvems23
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just a couple questions

Hey guys im pretty new to this forum i just recently purchased a 2006 dodge ram 1500 quad cab sport. there is few things about it im not quite sure of. I have owned chevys usally and decieded on a dodge this time. But i have been reading some of the threads and wonding about some more information on this MDS and what it does exactly. I have put a KN CAI on and i all so have flowmaster 50 delta series dual exhaust on it. Im just curious if there is better muffler for this truck due to the fact when ur just crusing around it kinda sounds like crap and i would assume its due to the shift from 8 cylinders to 4 but i wasnt sure if there was a better exhaust system to eliminate this. Also im looking at getting a leveling kit to bring the nose up a little. I just want it to sit even with the rear. I have noticed there are many different sizeds such as 1in, 1 1/2 in and even 2in which would best level the truck out???? thanks for the imput

Old 08-20-2008, 03:41 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

As far as the MDS with an exhaust goes it is the #1 complaint on every forum I'm on or have ever been on that has anything to do with Dodge and/or Dodge trucks. Not the performance of the system which seems to work pretty well (although I for one wouldn't have it, not that I think it's flawed or anything, but I bought an 8 cyl. truck (an '04 without MDS) and I want my 8 cylinders all the time, thank you very much). I don't know if anyone has found the perfect solution (without using resonator(s) which of course, defeats the purpose. I'm sure some of the 06+ (MDS) crowd will chime in.
As far as lift goes, you have a coil over front suspension (all 4x2s and '06+ 4x4's do) and as such, simple coil spacers are a decent, economical choice. I've found that perfectly level is about a 2.25" lift, so I'd go with the 2" spacers...

Old 08-20-2008, 08:22 PM
RaiderJay6
Record Breaker

When driving around town if you keep it in tow/haul the MDS wont kick in. I went with the Corsa exhaust system and its not as bad when the MDS kicks in as alot of the systems out there. I use the tow/haul in the city.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:40 PM
boomer79
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there any drawbacks with driving around town in tow/haul mode?

Old 08-20-2008, 10:11 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Only draw back, higher RPMs which means less MPGs

I would guess Flowmaster would be one of the worst systems for MDS as it is one of the loudest.

Wonder how the Hybrid Hemi will sound?????

Old 08-21-2008, 10:25 PM
rjvems23
Amateur

when you say it would affect mpg. How much would it affect it. and is there any other draw backs to leavin it in tow/haul mode????

Quick Reply: Just a couple questions