3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Accident

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 09:52 AM
Schmec@gmail.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accident

So im on my way to work in my 07 ram 1500 SLT reg cab short bed. Im going through a 4 way intersection lights green, im doing about 30 - 35. Middle of the intersection an older guy turns out to be 75 years old driving a 96 tuaras pulls out right in front of me. I layed on the breaks and swerved hard to avoid but my bumper and front drivers side corner about 1/3 of the way up the hood of his car enough. It was enough to smash his radiator and blow and oil line, deploy both of his airbags. I ended up bouncing up a good size curb and coming to a stop.

Initial damage to my truck looked like a bent rim on the passenger side where i went up the curb, and bumper,fender and all the frame work behind the grill and bumper and got pushed in a bit. Accident gets cleared out truck looks like its ok to drive so get 30 feet down the road and i hear a popping noise then another 10 feet another pop so i pull into a side road to just turn it around. Put it in reverse move about a foot then my power steering isnt working to well and im not moving. I get out and my drivers side wheel is sitting parallel to my bumper. control arm broke in half looks like it bent the subframe out too. Pulled the axle right out of the transfer case.

Seeing that there was enough damage to casue that to break is there anything else that could be very wrong? possibly totaled? His insurance is taking full responsibility.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:30 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing happened to me a couple months ago. Some old guy in a NEW S550 (still had the "T" tags on it) pulled out in front of me at a redlight. I had no where to go and I could not stop, so I turned into him so my bumper took the damage. I didn't call the cops as now I have a $125k dent on my bumper that I am proud of...LOL!!!! On the other hand, his look and comments were priceless. All he kept saying was that his wife was going to kill him.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:33 AM
Schmec@gmail.com

haha, id have him autograph that one

Old 08-24-2008, 12:55 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by L and R Two
Same thing happened to me a couple months ago. Some old guy in a NEW S550 (still had the "T" tags on it) pulled out in front of me at a redlight. I had no where to go and I could not stop, so I turned into him so my bumper took the damage. I didn't call the cops as now I have a $125k dent on my bumper that I am proud of...LOL!!!! On the other hand, his look and comments were priceless. All he kept saying was that his wife was going to kill him.
Just a dent is $125,000?!

Old 08-24-2008, 04:08 PM
DeWalt378G
Record Breaker

wow, enough to pop the drive shaft out of your transfer case? well, if it were me, i would check everything that has to do with the front end driveline including mounts. idk on the 07 but the front diff assebly i close to the oil pan so i would check the pan for damage too. if so, then check the pick up tube. check all front suspension components and look for bent mounts, loost ball joints, etc. steering rack prolly took a good jolt. last but not least, frame damage always means getting it measured and racked if necessary.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:02 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

i wouldn't even check anything else. broken control arm, bent rim, bent frame, axle pulled out? total it, that truck is wrecked.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:17 PM
The Peddler
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
i wouldn't even check anything else. broken control arm, bent rim, bent frame, axle pulled out? total it, that truck is wrecked.

+1 Go get you a new truck!

Old 08-24-2008, 07:12 PM
Schmec@gmail.com

Ya thats what im thinking too, sucks though. 17k miles on her.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:14 PM
epegasus
Rookie

Has a similar type wreck. Caused over $9k worth of damage. The whole frame had to be replaced. Insurance did NOT total the truck. Unbelievable.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:17 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about the accident.

Quick Reply: Accident