3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Coolant Leak - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 10:33 AM
cpukramer
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Coolant Leak - Help!

Hi All,

So a few weeks ago I noticed that sometimes when I leave my truck parked overnight there is a large puddle of fluid under the passenger side front wheel when I move it in the morning. At first I was unable to determine what the fluid was, but after a bit I determined that it is coolant. Also, it now smells like coolant in my cab when I use the A/C. It doesn't leak coolant all the time it seems to be completely random when it decides to leak. This has been occurring for like 2 weeks now, and today was the first time it began to run hot (finally lost enough where it became a problem) so I added some more coolant and now it runs fine again.

I don't know how to fix this problem, does anyone know what it could be? I am thinking that the heater core is blown, however there is no coolant inside the cab (like the carpet is all dry and stuff, all the leaking is on the outside).

Any advice would be helpful! Thanks in advance!!

Old 08-25-2008, 10:37 AM
nickatnite
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would check your water pump...also your front engine cover gasket..that is what happened to me and it didnt leak all the time....when it got hot enough it would push the gasket out...just check those little things

Old 08-25-2008, 11:42 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd also check the radiator header tank seams as well as the pump and front cover gasket as mentioned.
I have an 03 Hemi with exactly what your describing.
When you walked around the front of the truck after a run, it smelt hot and warm and of coolant.
A kinda' sickly burning smell.
It was the seams on the radiator which were weeping coolant.
I replaced my rad and all was fine but it was a pig to find where it was leaking from!
This is very common on the plastic header tank radiator types.
Hope this helps?
Al.

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak - Help!