3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Turn OD off in city?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 09:54 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Turn OD off in city?

oh how I love my 6 speed

also to add a little to Techman's responce

when your engine is turning lower RPM's the pump in the tranny is pumping less fluid at a lower pressure which puts stress on the bands and clutches. also since less fluid is moving less fluid is going to the oil cooler which means temps in the tranny will rise.

so while you may think your saving fuel by turning lower RPM's you are also doing damage to the tranny when it is having to do alot of searching.

Old 01-31-2005, 10:53 PM
Silver Eagle
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got back. I went 12 miles mostly in some sort of traffic. I went mostly around 30 to 35 mph once up to 40. When I left the house my mileage was at 8.4. I tried the number 2 spot for about a haLFa mile. I put the transmission into tow and I had 8.4 when I started out ,when I got home I had 9.9mpg .I'm going to leave it that way for this tank of gas and see what happens. If I go over 50 I'll shut off the tow until I get to the lower speeds again.

Old 02-01-2005, 01:36 AM
Chrome Hemi

I'm not entirely sure what I'm talking about but I hope this helps a little. I read that with our five speed auto electronic five speed, the engine would automatically switch from working 8 cylinders to running off of only 4 when cruising speeds were reached. The engine would then fire the "lazy four" every once in awhile just to keep them in sync with the other four. I think the tow/haul is used only for that purpose (to tow or haul something). I normally get an average of 15 mpg off of mid grade exxon fuel. My opinion is that the money you save in gas you may have to put back into your engine if you are causing it damage later down the road. Just my opinion, hope it helps.

Old 02-01-2005, 02:42 AM
bullitt1229
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Chrome Hemi

I read that with our five speed auto electronic five speed, the engine would automatically switch from working 8 cylinders to running off of only 4 when cruising speeds were reached. The engine would then fire the "lazy four" every once in awhile just to keep them in sync with the other four.
I believe that is just with the HEMI's in the Magnum and the 300C, although I could be wrong. I have an '03 and don't believe that the HEMI's in the '03 had that feature yet, but the new ones ('04 and '05) may.

Old 02-01-2005, 02:48 AM
adamsredlines
Professional

Well I'm searchin for some mileage here, I dont know if I got some bad gas or not, but I'm down to like 9/10 MPG in my 4.7. The airfilter was kinda dirty, but you could still see through it fine, and incase thats the problem, I switched to a K&N. If it does tranny damage I'm not going to be turning OD off, so as of now I guess i'm stuck with a tas guzzler. I knew it wasnt going to be good, but 10 is horrible.

Old 02-01-2005, 05:20 AM
Bruce
Professional

I always drive with mine off around town because i heard its easier on your transmission.

Old 02-01-2005, 12:49 PM
techmanbd
Record Breaker

If it does tranny damage I'm not going to be turning OD off
Actually that is the opposite, Turning it off is suppose to save your tranny during city driving. Just remember to turn it back on when you hit cruisin speeds

Old 02-01-2005, 01:20 PM
adamsredlines
Professional

ORIGINAL: techmanbd

If it does tranny damage I'm not going to be turning OD off
Actually that is the opposite, Turning it off is suppose to save your tranny during city driving. Just remember to turn it back on when you hit cruisin speeds

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

ORIGINAL: Drew

oh how I love my 6 speed

also to add a little to Techman's responce

when your engine is turning lower RPM's the pump in the tranny is pumping less fluid at a lower pressure which puts stress on the bands and clutches. also since less fluid is moving less fluid is going to the oil cooler which means temps in the tranny will rise.

so while you may think your saving fuel by turning lower RPM's you are also doing damage to the tranny when it is having to do alot of searching.

We are getting two different stories, so I dont know. or am I reading Drew's wrong?

Old 02-01-2005, 01:27 PM
Silver Eagle
Captain

If you think 9/10 is bad , try driving a hemi (5.7) I put a K/N filter in mine had duals put in no change at all. Keep my tire pressure around 37 lbs. .I used to work in the oil Refinery business for Thirty years. .With all the government crappy rules for fuel standards we all should get bad mileage in the winter. It also depends on what area of the country you live in. What type of gasoline do we burn. I live in an oxygenated fuel area.That means very poor mileage in the winter. To high of a vapor pressure allowed.. 15 lbs.. After March 15 th the mileage should start to get better. The vapor pressure will then start to drop for summer use. If you burn reformulated gasoline it will be better...So what does all this mean.? If you live near or in a big city area the fuel is oxygenated if you live in the rural area's it should be reformulated.. Oxygenated fuels have more MTBE and Butane in them for better starting. in cold weather. .When I bought my truck it had fuel in it from the summer grades then as November set in the mileage dropped. So come Early March we should start to get better muileage. I Hope. In Case anyone care's I ran a Octane testing Lab for over 12 years for a major oil refinery on the east coast.

Old 02-01-2005, 01:29 PM
adamsredlines
Professional

So its just "winter gas" for lack of better terms?
Also, from everything I've read, the Hemi gets much better mileage, go figure...

Quick Reply: Turn OD off in city?