3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

factory oil filter fun today

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 10:51 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Pyro
I've over-torqued filters before, just jam a long screwdriver right through the sumbitch and use that if a filter wrench won't get it.
My dad tried that with his 82 Corvette years back...his brother had used a filter wrench to tighten it. My dad tried to loosen it by jamming a screwdriver through the nice thin tin that makes up the housing. Only THEN did he decide to ask me to look at it....Took a spanner I had that fit in the holes to get it undone, plus a whole lot of cussin.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:12 AM
electricmarquis@yaho
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always just spun them on by hand till they stopped really loosely. Then hand turned it tight about 1/2-3/4 of a turn.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:29 AM
Tractor
Professional

Me too. By hand ,works well when removing also.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:23 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by electricmarquis@yaho
I have always just spun them on by hand till they stopped really loosely. Then hand turned it tight about 1/2-3/4 of a turn.
and that's the instructions on most filter boxes tell you to. somebody needs to put a box with instructions on someone's desk at chrylser

Old 09-13-2008, 02:31 AM
Earl73

My first filter change was near an hour, lots of bleeding and cussing and the filter was in 3 pieces when I finally got all of it off the engine. Band type filter wrench collapsed the filter without turning it, screwdriver method just poked lots of holes, ripped at it a while with channel locks and finally got the mating surface off with filter pliers that I went out to get in the wife's car when she came home. Since then it's been no trouble.

Quick Reply: factory oil filter fun today