3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New headers = new exhaust + cats?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 09:32 AM
mellino19
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New headers = new exhaust + cats?

Alright, so I was talking to my dad, who's a mechanic, and sayin that I wanted to put headers on my truck for a bit more power and better airflow. He said it'd definately give me more power, but I would have to do the ENTIRE exhaust system over, meaning I'd need 2 new catalytic converts and a new exhaust. Right now I just have a dual tip flowmaster dumping on the right side before the tire, I dont know if its welded or bolt-on, most likely welded. If i were to get headers is there anyway I can reuse the muffler I have now or would the whole project end up costing over $1000 (headers $650+ and exhaust $450+)??

I hear headers help with mileage a bit too, which as we Ram owners know, we don't get the best mileage in the pick-up truck world. How big of an increase in mileage would there be exactly? like a half mpg +/-?

People tell me not to do too much to the truck b/c it has about 115k miles on it but I plan on keeping it for a long time anyways (even if it dies, i'll rebuild the engine)

Just wanted to hear people's opinions on this, of course I'm gonna listen to my father since he's been a mechanic since he was like 18 but I still just wanted to hear from others in the dodge community. Thanks

Old 09-03-2008, 09:49 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Of course I don't know what the underside of your truck looks like, but I did LT headers and didn't change anything else out. I already had a cat back with Flowmaster 50HD muffler. I just moved the existing cats back about a foot and a half and extended the O2 sensor wires to reach. Needed a piece of stainless exhaust pipe to cut to weld in, but that was it. Have my LT Headers, still have my cats so I didn't have to go with sims or non-foulers to fool the PCM and it performs and sounds great.
The only thing I may do is get the actual Pacesetter "Y" pipe and put it in at a later time, I just bought a small stainless "Y" from the auto parts store to put in just before the muffler and I'm not sure if it flows near as well as the actual one that's made to use with the headers. But that'll wait till my 4 year old muffler is shot and I put a Cherry Bomb in...

Quick Reply: New headers = new exhaust + cats?