3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Does the Fuel Boss magnet actually save gas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 09:41 AM
mellino19
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the Fuel Boss magnet actually save gas?

Has anybody here tried the Fuel boss magnet on JCWhitney? It's a magnet that attaches to your fuel line as close to the fuel injector as possible and it's supposed to give you an 11.6% increase in fuel economy. I ordered the high performance/commercial truck one and I havent really noticed a whole lot, my mom has one on her ford edge and her highway MPG went up like 1.5mpg. I put it on my truck and I think i lost like 3.5 mpg highway which is just absolutely retarded.

Now I know the little overhead console isn't 100% correct when it tells you the fuel economy of your truck, but on the highway with cruise control at about 75 mph it used to tell me 20 mpg, when I drove to new hampshire for about 2 hours from boston it said I was getting 16 mpg highway, which sucks! I went like 135 miles on about 10 gallons of gas which is terrible, then again flooring leaving a toll booth two times on the way isn't gonna help that :-p

Anyways I just wanted to see if anybody used this and has anything to say about it and whether they had positive results or negative, I'm thinking of taking mine off to see if my mileage changes at all

Old 09-03-2008, 10:49 AM
minex
Veteran

I don't know the answer to this, but my question would be... if a simple little magnet increases fuel economy by 11.6%, wouldn't Dodge include this in the vehicle?

Last edited by minex; 09-03-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:14 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

it doesn't work. your mom's gains were not due to the magnet either.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:34 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't work worth a flip. People usually see immediate gains with things like this because they want to. You'll drive a lot more conscious of saving gas after you get it, maybe subconsciously even, and then when you see a 2 or 3 mpg gain because you are coasting longer into stops, starting gentler, and not traveling as fast, you'll get on the forum and tell everyone how wonderful it is.
The after a couple of weeks, you resume your normal driving habits and guess what? Mileage goes right back where it was.
I'll be up at my farm in Ga. for most of the month of Sept., you buy it, install it and give it a good test run down to there. That way I can slap you upside the head for throwing your money away...

Old 09-03-2008, 01:06 PM
mellino19
Rookie

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I'll be up at my farm in Ga. for most of the month of Sept., you buy it, install it and give it a good test run down to there. That way I can slap you upside the head for throwing your money away...
hahahahahhahaha, well my dad's the one who bought it for me so i'm all set, slap him for being drawn into it on the website by the 4/5 star rating lol.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:58 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker

I don't know about the FUEL BOSS but I do know about the TORNADO, you know, the little fan looking thing that goes into your air intake tube. IT AIN'T WORTH A CRAP!!! I lost 1 mpg after installing it. It was my stupid mistake cuz after thinking about it, it is more of an obstruction than anything. It don't spin and by the time the air reaches the engine, through all the turns, it's lost all the spin it may have had. I took mine off and trashed it! That was an expensive lesson. So I am here to tell yall, if you were thinking about.....DON"T!!!

Old 09-03-2008, 03:08 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

One of the two guys I bought my farmland with is a diesel mechanic, went to one of those nationwide tech schools. One of his instructors was really cool and had the class do like "Mythbusters" tests on all these gadgets. They did a real extensive test on the "Tornado" on a Chevy truck with the 350 V8 in it and not only did they LOSE like 1 mpg but it dyno'd at 2 HP less with the device in it...

Old 09-03-2008, 10:47 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Hey HAMMER, Thanks for the back up. Hey if I drive down to GA and after you slap me up side the head for wasting my money, rekon we can go Hog hunting???lol

Old 09-03-2008, 10:56 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I'll be staying at the farm to plant some alfalfa & clover, fish & do a little shootin' from this Sunday through about Sept. 20th., come on down...

Old 09-04-2008, 10:12 AM
The Peddler
Record Breaker

Hey Hammer! If everyone is coming to GA to get slaped in the face, why don't I meet you there, and we can set around and do some slaping and drinking. HA!HA!

Quick Reply: Does the Fuel Boss magnet actually save gas?