3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

gas mileage dropping.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 12:20 PM
PT-Panther
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas mileage dropping.

I guess by now you have noticed that our gas mileage has started to drop again. Well the Oil Companies have started there fall blends. They have to be on line by Sept. 15th. Our Hemi was getting 15 to 16 on non inter state roads now it's dropped to 13.9 to 14.9 The last three tanks have been this way. By Dec. we will be down to 10 and 11 MIles pwer gallon. So after the end of October the Truck will be put away and only used in Deep snow .And our 06 PT convertible will be used instead. It get's 26 on the highway.But it will drop some too.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:39 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

that's not the oil companies fault. it's a requirement to switch fuel types in the winter. you need a more volatile fuel in the winter so your engine can start and run smooth without a gas heater.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:55 PM
andrew64

You know I have noticed the drop in my MPG also. I live in seattle, wa. maybe they strated to switch over earlyer then everyone else since we only get one month of nice weather. I used to get about 13-14 city and 20 HYW. now its more like 11 city and I dont know for HYW yet wife drives the truck more then I do. Her driving habits haven changed either. Oh we'll should be a fun bill to when I move cross country this NOV.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:00 PM
PT-Panther

We under stand it's not the oil company's fault, Uncle Sam makes the rules. My husband worked for a major oil refiner for over 30 years before retiring in 1998. and he still keeps in touch with them.He was called Mr.Octane. The people in the industry wish the government would drop Ethanol and go back to MTBE now that all the tanks have been replaced. Leaded gass caused the tanks to leak into the ground and not until Ethanol came out did they fix the problem with the water table and gasoline getting into it. Now listen to this. Our government pays the oil companies 53 cents per gallon to use ethanol .It only cost the oil companies .05 cents to make a gallon on MTBE. and the reserch value of MTBE is 120 plus octane. If the oil companies were to use MTBE again what would gasoline cost us? It also burns cleaner and is much cheaper to make.

Quick Reply: gas mileage dropping.