3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

First three mods complete- now what?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 06:28 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgenitto
More power and torque.

doesn't do squat for power. gives you a 16% bump in torque. your engine has to turn 16% faster to get you goin the same speed as before, thats why it hurts highway

i dont think they make 4.88 for our diffs do they?

Old 09-06-2008, 06:50 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
doesn't do squat for power. gives you a 16% bump in torque. your engine has to turn 16% faster to get you goin the same speed as before, thats why it hurts highway

i dont think they make 4.88 for our diffs do they?
I've seen 4.88s for the 9.25 Chrysler rears, but not the IFS fronts.

And technically gears do NOTHING for power or torque, they add nothing to your dyno numbers. What they do is allow you to get the engine rpm's into the "sweet spot" sooner and keep it there more efficiently. They are also very beneficial to the transmission by holding a higher rpm, so the tranny
does not switch gears as much.
Even though gears don't increase HP or Torque one iota, they are an awesome mod, your "butt dyno" will tell you that you just added a ton of HP and Torque, but in reality, they just get what you had to the rear wheels more efficiently...

Old 09-06-2008, 07:50 PM
Skullycapone
Rookie

okay well now the killer question, how much and where do I get setup

Old 09-06-2008, 08:46 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Man, if I had a dollar for all the posts that answered that question just on this forum, I'd have a monster, lifted CTD right now.

Gonna cost you about $200 for the rear ring & pinion, $225 for the front, about $100 for a master install kit (new bearings, etc.) that's it for parts unless you put in a nice aftermarket LSD, about $375 for an Auburn and $475 for a TruTrac.

The labor is the bi*ch. You need to find a good, experienced shop. Not only one that does gear installs, but has experience with the Dodge axles. Setting the gears perfectly is not an easy thing to do and for some reason it's particularly hard in a Chrysler (AAM) carrier.

If/When you are serious, let me know where you are, I've got a pretty good database built up of shops from helping people over the last 2 or 3 years find a place.
Some places want you to buy the hardware from them or they won't do it, some don't and you can save a bit of $ ordering them from a couple of very good places.
So, first we can find the who, then we can worry about where to get them...

Old 09-06-2008, 08:56 PM
Skullycapone
Rookie

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Man, if I had a dollar for all the posts that answered that question just on this forum, I'd have a monster, lifted CTD right now.

Gonna cost you about $200 for the rear ring & pinion, $225 for the front, about $100 for a master install kit (new bearings, etc.) that's it for parts unless you put in a nice aftermarket LSD, about $375 for an Auburn and $475 for a TruTrac.

The labor is the bi*ch. You need to find a good, experienced shop. Not only one that does gear installs, but has experience with the Dodge axles. Setting the gears perfectly is not an easy thing to do and for some reason it's particularly hard in a Chrysler (AAM) carrier.

If/When you are serious, let me know where you are, I've got a pretty good database built up of shops from helping people over the last 2 or 3 years find a place.
Some places want you to buy the hardware from them or they won't do it, some don't and you can save a bit of $ ordering them from a couple of very good places.
So, first we can find the who, then we can worry about where to get them...

Im in Ontario, Canada, near London, thanks for the info

Old 09-06-2008, 09:22 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I was actually going to write in my post that I hoped you were not in Canada. lol

Tried to find a place for a guy a few weeks back and struck out. Check around for a good 4x4 or axle shop. For the gears Moe's Performance, Air Ram and Randy's Ring & Pinion are tops to order online, all have super service...

Old 09-06-2008, 10:20 PM
ramracing4.7ltr
Veteran

oh shiizzit 4:88 gears ? lol pros and cons vs 4:56 ? probably more expensive but i have seen no one on here with them...how come?

Quick Reply: First three mods complete- now what?