3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

First three mods complete- now what?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Skullycapone
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First three mods complete- now what?

So ive installed what some would say is the usually the first three mods to complete, the exhaust, superchip and cai. I plan on maybe puttin in a 6.1 cam and lift next fall but in the meantime im wondering what else I can do to gain a little juice without breaking the bank and without totally destroying my warranty.

I have seen the power wire, but I dont like the sounds of it myself, what else can I do?

thanks

Old 09-05-2008, 06:26 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Gears and headers would be next or if your a 4x4 guy a lift and tires....

Old 09-05-2008, 06:45 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't do the 6.1 cam in a heavy truck. It's a high end HP cam, what you'll gain in HP in the high rpm range you will lose in Torque on the low rpm side. The exact opposite of what you want in a heavy, quad cab 4x4. Great cam for many Hemi cars and possibly a RCSB 4x2 truck.
Ebay is full of 6.1 cams truck guys have put in and then pulled out of their trucks. There are many better choices out there for your truck.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:52 PM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your done for now. Just enjoy your truck.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:56 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by Mystro
Your done for now. Just enjoy your truck.
+1, if you're worried about that warranty, not much else you can do for performance. maybe you should start doing interior/exterior mods. i didn't believe in doing them till i saw what you could do with a truck.check out mmstar's truck for a littlee inspiration. maybe a stereo/tv, speakers, sub, head/tail lights, grill guard, wheels tires gears cab roof lights?

Old 09-05-2008, 06:57 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

I wouldn't go that far as to never do it, it can be used in a big truck. For the most part its a balancing act as to what direction to go as far as performance, and with the right combination of parts it should work fine. Now there are better cams out there though specifically for the 5.7 that you can play with that may even give you better all around results than the 6.1 can.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:01 PM
HEMIslide
Rookie

What about upgrading the speakers..adding subs/amp, etc. Ordered mine and just need to install it.

-slide

Old 09-05-2008, 07:39 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by HEMIslide
What about upgrading the speakers..adding subs/amp, etc. Ordered mine and just need to install it.

-slide
I believe I just found the definition of getting old, I'm 41 now and for the last four or five years I've come to decide that all a stereo, amp, speakers and sub woofer do is drown out the sound of a great exhaust note...

Old 09-05-2008, 07:47 PM
Skullycapone
Rookie

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
+1, if you're worried about that warranty, not much else you can do for performance. maybe you should start doing interior/exterior mods. i didn't believe in doing them till i saw what you could do with a truck.check out mmstar's truck for a littlee inspiration. maybe a stereo/tv, speakers, sub, head/tail lights, grill guard, wheels tires gears cab roof lights?

Ya ive just started getting going on that, im just gonna add a little more chrome to the chrome package already in place.

- Chrome hemi license plate frames
- Chrome hemi license plate nut caps
- Chrome ram logo tire valve stem caps
- Chrome diff cover
- Stainless front and rear door entry guards
- Chrome bug deflector
- Chrome tailgate handle
- Tint front windows, all others done already
- Maybe a lid for my box, although I dont really care for the newer dodge ones, with the two humps on it

As far as lifts, it will just be a leveling kit, I want a truck for all purposes, 4x4in, speed, power, looks, once you jack it up high it basically becomes a 4 wheeler only imo so im pushin for the whole package on and off road.

Oh one other thing I really want to do but not sure if I can is put a 09 ram bumper on my 08 to fit my dual exit exhaust into, really hoping this works, love the look.

Last edited by Skullycapone; 09-05-2008 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:19 PM
ramracing4.7ltr
Veteran

do the 4:56 gears , that is what im saving for next. by the way while on this subject, is a b***er gear setup for our truck better ?? or do i just want to stick with buying the 4:56's?

Quick Reply: First three mods complete- now what?