3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need Lift Kit Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 07:25 PM
kkuntz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Lift Kit Advice

I have an '05 Ram Quad Cab Hemi. I'm wanting to make it look a little "beefier" by either getting some b***er tires or adding a lift kit and some b***er tires. I have the factory 20" chrome wheels.

How big of a tire can you get to replace the stock ones if I wasnt to use a lift kit?

What would be a recommended lift kit to add some height to my rig? I'm not a millionaire, so I'd like it to be reasonable.

Is it a good idea to use the stock 20" rims with new tires and a lift kit? Does it look ok? Any pics?

So, if anyone has any suggestions on what I could do to make my truck a little higher and meaner, I'd appreciate the input. Also, if you have any links to pics that I could peruse and check out, that would be great too.

Thanks!

Old 09-06-2008, 07:41 PM
disturbedgator
Captain

if you are going for the "rugged" look i would drop those panty waiste 20 inch stock rims. Nice for a run around the city truck, but for a rig that your proposing i think they wouldnt look right

Old 09-06-2008, 08:35 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by disturbedgator
if you are going for the "rugged" look i would drop those panty waiste 20 inch stock rims. Nice for a run around the city truck, but for a rig that your proposing i think they wouldnt look right
Agreed 100%, 20" wheels have no business on a 4x4 other than the "look" factor. Unless you have a big beefy, lifted solid front axle truck and were putting like 38" tires on 20" wheels.
You want as much "meat" & sidewall as possible as it's tire footprint, flex and flotation that gets you through off the pavement.

kkuntz:
I have a write-up in the "Off Road" section, in a sticky up top that's titles "Lifting a truck - 101" explains the different ways to lift your truck, benefits and drawbacks for each type of lift available. Read it to get an understanding, then we can help you "fine tune" your options...

Old 09-06-2008, 08:58 PM
kkuntz

I like the looks of this:

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member.../661986_10.jpg

If that helps?

Old 09-06-2008, 11:27 PM
disturbedgator
Captain

ok they are pretty but when it gets nasty would you really want that underneath you? Im seriously rubber will flex your rims will not. Thats why im going 16 inch rims with as big rubber as i can fit

Old 09-07-2008, 11:14 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by disturbedgator
ok they are pretty but when it gets nasty would you really want that underneath you? Im seriously rubber will flex your rims will not. Thats why im going 16 inch rims with as big rubber as i can fit
You aren't going to a 16 inch wheel without brake mods. You can only fit a 17 inch wheel on our trucks.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:53 PM
WeightLifter500
Veteran

+ 1 Only 17's will fit our truck with the brake set up that we have. I would rather have 17's and be able to stop my tank than have 16's and pray to stop. Obviously if I could I would have 15's on there, but stopping is nice too. just go with some nice 37x13.5's on a 17x10 and it will look impressive. As long as you are not putting 20's on there it will look awesome. no offense to those that have the 20's, but that is not the look for me.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:25 PM
dodgenitto
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by WeightLifter500
+ 1 Only 17's will fit our truck with the brake set up that we have. I would rather have 17's and be able to stop my tank than have 16's and pray to stop. Obviously if I could I would have 15's on there, but stopping is nice too. just go with some nice 37x13.5's on a 17x10 and it will look impressive. As long as you are not putting 20's on there it will look awesome. no offense to those that have the 20's, but that is not the look for me.
+1 on that! No offence taken about the 20's "to each his own"

Old 09-08-2008, 11:51 PM
mmstar23
Champion

ditch the flower petals. youll want a different rim for backspacing purposes when you lift anyways. go for a 6" lift as well, if you like the picture you previously posted. i would personally do a 6" lift on 37x13.5R18's

Old 09-09-2008, 08:46 AM
WeightLifter500
Veteran

Originally Posted by mmstar23
ditch the flower petals. youll want a different rim for backspacing purposes when you lift anyways. go for a 6" lift as well, if you like the picture you previously posted. i would personally do a 6" lift on 37x13.5R18's
Be careful with going for a 6in + sized lift on our IFS trucks. Hopfully Hammer will chime in with some stories about this. Anyways when you go with a 6+ lift it puts too much force on the CV joints and Tierods because they are set at a much different angle than what they were meant to be at, thus causing greater wear and tear. IMO, remember this is just IMO, the best way to lift your truck would be by going with a 4in rancho suspension kit and then a 3in PA body lift, or if you have it done by a custom shop a 2in body lift. By doing just the 4in suspension kit you will have the tierods and CV's at stock setting, which is much better since your new 37in tires will weigh nearly twice as heavy. The Body lift will just give you extra clearance for a larger tire. You could also do the set up that Nitto did where he did a level kit w/3in body kit and some minor cutting. But I bet that if you were to talk to him about it he would probably do the 4in suspension/3in body combo. It's just easier and better in the long run versus going with a straight 6in set up. Once again that is just IMO.

Quick Reply: Need Lift Kit Advice