3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Very Long Towing Trip from Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 11:16 PM
Alaska700
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very Long Towing Trip from Alaska

Im moving from alaska back to the states. I am towing a 20' long trailer, with a car, and fourwheeler on it.

I am loading up the bed with stuff as well.

I think I am going to very close to maxing out the towing capacity.

The drive is going to 3000+ miles up, and down mountains.

Any advice?? Like getting a Trans temp gauge? Or a performance Computer?

Is shifting into netrual on the fly bad for it???

by the way I have 3.92 ratio

thanks

Old 09-07-2008, 11:36 PM
jumper82

First and foremost, good luck. I made the trip up last year. The ALCAN is unforgiving while towing. I didn't have anything special for my trip. 20' trailer, 2 big ATVs and 2 kiddie ATVs, lots of stuff in the bed, two dogs, two 4 yr olds, a 2 month old, and the old lady of course. I didn't have any problems until I hit Gulkana (blew a tire on the truck). As far as up and down the mountains I kept in a lower gear and took my time. We got up early (0300 or so) every morning so we could get started. I would, however, suggest throwing on some more fuel cans. Gas stations are few and far between. Not too mention price.

GOOD LUCK!!

Old 09-07-2008, 11:50 PM
Alaska700
Amateur

Originally Posted by jumper82
First and foremost, good luck. I made the trip up last year. The ALCAN is unforgiving while towing. I didn't have anything special for my trip. 20' trailer, 2 big ATVs and 2 kiddie ATVs, lots of stuff in the bed, two dogs, two 4 yr olds, a 2 month old, and the old lady of course. I didn't have any problems until I hit Gulkana (blew a tire on the truck). As far as up and down the mountains I kept in a lower gear and took my time. We got up early (0300 or so) every morning so we could get started. I would, however, suggest throwing on some more fuel cans. Gas stations are few and far between. Not too mention price.

GOOD LUCK!!
Thats some trip you made with, the family. Its just 2 of us going, on ours.

Thanks for the Advice,, I drove up with a V6 Dakota,, and that thing was dying going up the moutains.

I have a auto trans,, so i only have the option of shifting into 1st or 2nd.

I was told that putting it in TOW/HAUL mode tears your tranny up, what do you think?

Old 09-08-2008, 01:40 AM
JD1500
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Alaska700

I was told that putting it in TOW/HAUL mode tears your tranny up, what do you think?

Tow/haul will probably save your tranny. on the flats your okay. but if you are going to go up and down hills i would for sure put it in tow/haul.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:58 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

A tranny temp gauge would not be a bad idea, but if it was me, I'd pull the diff cover and put an aftermarket on, one of the larger ones for (more fluid means cooler temps), the raised fins (again for more efficient cooling). The good thing with most of these, is that they come with the not only a drain plug, but a boss for the temp sensor if you want to add it.

Of course by installing an aftermarket cover it means you'll have fresh fluid in there too.

Last edited by HammerZ71; 09-08-2008 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:27 AM
emcanurse

I have been towing alot in the last few years but not in a my new dodge ram( well new to me). My best suggestion is change your fluids before the trip. Especially the engine and tranny oil. I am not a fan of synthetics as I believe short regular changes with dino oil suffice( i usually buy my oil in bulk when it's on sale ), I find it cheaper and more efficent. I would also change the tranny fluid if you are close to the service interval. I assume that your 04 Ram has the tow package and would have the engine and tranny cooler already. If you don't have a tranny cooler that would be the first thing I would get. I have yet to tow with my 04 Ram so I can not comment on the tow/haul mode but my understanding that for getting started and getting up to cruising speed it prevents the tranny from trying to shift to overdrive and there by prevents wear and tear on it. I believe that if you are on a flat road just cruising then you can turn it off let the OD kick in and save fuel. Best of luck.

Stuart

Old 09-09-2008, 12:12 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aviod shifting into N, its going to kill your transmisson really fast, as mentioned, good oil in the transmisson and rear end and a transmison cooler are really excellant ideas, the factery tow package on the hemi has a extra radaitor, oil cooler and transmisson cooler.

Its a combination of the above items that makes for towing performance, no one singel item is going to give a real advantage, don't know if you have the 20 in wheals, 17's have a higher tow rating..

Old 09-09-2008, 12:32 AM
Alaska700
Amateur

Originally Posted by cyclone429
Aviod shifting into N, its going to kill your transmisson really fast, as mentioned, good oil in the transmisson and rear end and a transmison cooler are really excellant ideas, the factery tow package on the hemi has a extra radaitor, oil cooler and transmisson cooler.

Its a combination of the above items that makes for towing performance, no one singel item is going to give a real advantage, don't know if you have the 20 in wheals, 17's have a higher tow rating..
I have the 17's, and the tow package. So I think Ill look for a trans temp sensor, and a rear diff cover, any suggestions on brand, and where to buy?

Thanks for everyones input,, The last thing I want to do is be in the middle of nowhere and get stuck with a limp truck.

Quick Reply: Very Long Towing Trip from Alaska