3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Motorcycle Hauling

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 06:56 AM
ofnaman1995
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorcycle Hauling

I have an 883 Sportster that I'd like to haul in the back of my truck, but I've never hauled a bike before and would like advice from others who have done this. It will be an eight hour drive (all interstate). Thanks

Old 09-08-2008, 08:33 AM
RedneckDodge86
Professional

You putting it in the back or on a trailer? Because ive fit the 2 ATV's and a Motorcycle in the bed before for a 3 hour drive. This is what i reccommend if ur putting it in the bed. If you cant close the tailgate get 4 Cargo straps (with rubber hooks so it doesnt hurt your bike) put it in the back of the truck, and have someone sit on it. Put all 4 cargo straps on while they sit on it, so when they get up the shocks with wanna raise back up and lock it down even tighter. and if ur tail gate closes well then id only use 2, which is enough to make sure the bike isnt gonna tip over.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:53 AM
RAM_05
Rookie

I pretty much do the same thing Redneckdodge said. I usually use 3 straps. One on each side of the front to compress the forks so they don't bounce around. Remember to tie them to the floor of the bed if you can. Then I will do one across the back somewhere to keep the back wheel from hopping. If you don't have a secure place then use one on each side in the back. I did this many times without problems even with my friends 2007 HD Softtail Custom from California to Connecticut.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:08 PM
mackie

If you are putting it in the back of the truck, then invest in some handlebar straps. If you can buy something called a "canyon dancer" which fits over the handlebars and gives two loops for the tie straps is the best. As long as you compress the front forks enough to keep it upright and the one strap to pull it back, you should be fine. I have travelled through the smokey mountains and never had a bike move on me while going through the twisties.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:43 PM
toastedoat

What type/length ramps do you guys use? I have an '07 Mega Cab that if I could get my '07 ultra in instead of having to use the trailer might be a little more convenient and cheaper if I take the ferry from CT to NY. Also, do you put anything (plywood, etc.) down to keep the weight off of the tailgate if you can't close it?

Old 09-08-2008, 04:33 PM
Chris1530
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haul My ZX6R every once in a while, and use 4 straps..
Make sure you get some decent ratchet straps at least for the front like an 1.5" wide strap
Make sure your front tire is straight against the front of the bed, the front end is the most important. Got my straps at homedepot. (That will eliminate someone having to sit on it)..
after an hour or so stop and retighten the straps, and you shouldnt need to again..
(with the tailgate down.)

Old 09-08-2008, 05:46 PM
flwalks
Professional

I have hauled my 2002 Victory Touring Cruiser in the bed for 2 days with no problems. The bike weighs 750 lbs and the rear tire sits on the gate. Just get the rachet tie downs with the loop for motorcycles (got mine from waly world) and compress the front and rear suspension. Just don't overtighten you can damage the front forks.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:14 PM
RAM_05
Rookie

Originally Posted by toastedoat
What type/length ramps do you guys use? I have an '07 Mega Cab that if I could get my '07 ultra in instead of having to use the trailer might be a little more convenient and cheaper if I take the ferry from CT to NY. Also, do you put anything (plywood, etc.) down to keep the weight off of the tailgate if you can't close it?
I used about a 4 foot ramp that I made at home using a piece of wood. I forget what size though. I have seen longer ones, but I also back up to a small hill to make the loading and unloading a LOT easier. You don't need to put anything on the tailgate because the back tire just barely rests on the gate.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:30 AM
soldbyyou.com
Rookie

I put my TL1000 and ZX7 in the bed of my truck with no problem, and I leave the back down. I use a fold up ramp for me to walk on, and then power the bike on one of those big yellow lawnmower ramps that telescopes down to half its size for easy storage. I do have to power the bikes up because I do not have the upper body strength like you men do. If I can find a little hill I will back the bikes in so that when I get to where I am going I can just ride them off.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:23 AM
TANKZ400
All Star

If you are going to haul a good bit its deff worth getting a canyon dancer, or go to your dealer ship and get the staps that go on first then hook your strap to that.

Ps dont worry about tying it down to much it wont blow your seals, thats a myth.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Hauling