3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Aux Lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 08:45 PM
MikeFarm
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aux Lights

I've noticed a few of the RAM running around have mounted AUX lights inside the grill. Opening my hood last night I see that perfect metal support that looks like it would be a great spot. What lights are you guys mounting in there? Anyone tried tapping into the hi-beam switch so they go on at the same time (I had done this on an older Silverado and it was slick)?

Old 09-09-2008, 08:50 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

yep

Name:  fog_jumper2.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  98.1 KB

Name:  fog_jumper1.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  86.3 KB

That's actually the factory fog light to high beam trick, but same thing...

Old 09-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Wanderer
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in Jersey, driving lights must be wired to the high beam circut by law and we have state inspections. Still have a separate switch, but only powered by the high beams.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:30 PM
Toefur
Professional

Sorry Mike..I dont mean to hijack your thread but, is it possible that the grill could melt or become deformed by the heat that some aftermarket lights produce?? I had Piaa's on my old VW GTI and I could fry an egg on em if I wanted too. Im curious cause this is something that I want to do to my Ram also.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:22 AM
MikeFarm
Professional

Originally Posted by Toefur
Sorry Mike..I dont mean to hijack your thread but, is it possible that the grill could melt or become deformed by the heat that some aftermarket lights produce?? I had Piaa's on my old VW GTI and I could fry an egg on em if I wanted too. Im curious cause this is something that I want to do to my Ram also.
Not a hijack, real good question. I'd love to know what lights someone has installed up there to make sure they don't get too hot and don't have clearance issues.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:30 AM
Hemi #643

I have 100w KC light behind my grill wired and fuzed on a seperate circuit and have no problems. I use them daily for about an hour every morning going into work. Their fine while moving but I wouldn't leave them on while stopped for a long period of time or you might melt the grill.

Last edited by Hemi #643; 09-10-2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:32 AM
Hemi #643

Just an after thought, I wouldn't wire my lights into the headlight circuit. If you ever had a short in the aux light you would blow out your main lighting.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:11 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

The headlight circuit is real finicky and the pcm likes to sense a specific voltage. It doesn't take much to anger the pcm god and throw a lamp out light.

I have my hellas wired seperately. The bar is the perfect place to mount lights and it will hold them just far enough away from the grill to not worry about the heat.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:04 AM
MikeFarm
Professional

Those that have wired on a seperate circuit, where is a good place to go through the firewall? I had trick wiring up my radar detector and ended up tapping off power under the driver's seat.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:37 AM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

It is better to wire them separately. Get some black split loom and zip tie it up. If you look on the driver's side of the firewall, you will see where some wiring goes in. Just fish it through and install a rocker switch or something similar in the dash. That way you can turn them on whenever you want as opposed to only when your headlights are on.

Quick Reply: Aux Lights