3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Banks Monster exhaust was the worst decesion I have ever made!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 02:47 AM
mike963
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banks Monster exhaust was the worst decision I have ever made!!!

Let me just start by saying that this system has one of the best sounds I have herd but...

One week after installing one of the welds on the tip broke, no problem, just called Banks and made sure it was ok to weld it back on they said sure. Month after installing started hearing a redicusly loud rattle in the muffler, called Banks and they sent me a new one, so after struggling to get the old one off and putting the new one on it fixed it for about 3 days, sound was back. Called Banks, they sent me a third one this time I brought it to my local exhaust shop because the last time I replaced the muffler it was really hard to get the whole system off. So we replaced the muffler and welded the whole system back in place to insure that there would be a tight fit and that everything was installed properly. This time the rattle came back a few weeks later. So yesterday I got new tires for my truck and noticed that the exhaust has BURNED a hole in my spare tire. Oh yeah another weld on the tip broke as well.

Before going with Banks I did my research and went with a system that was a little more expensive than others but I thaught would be better. I was wrong. So hopefully someone reading this will not make the choice I did.

Last edited by mike963; 09-10-2008 at 03:24 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-10-2008, 05:04 AM
The Peddler
Record Breaker

Man! That sounds bad! You know I have not ever heard of Banks exhaust.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:03 AM
shall

Gale Banks is/was mostly known for his turbo systems, but has done full powertrain systems as well.

Sorry to hear of your woes. Have you contacted them to see if they are going to help get that tire fixed, and pay for your time spent on the exhaust ?

Old 09-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Post. Thanks for the warning. I guess Banks should stay with the diesel mods. Can you get your money back from Banks?

Old 09-10-2008, 10:50 AM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Thanks for the info. I was looking at a Corsa side exit exhaust, but it costs over $800. Then Dynomax and Flowmaster makes exhausts that are around the $250 - $300 mark. Maybe the more expensive systems are not always better. And I did not know that Banks made exhausts either.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:30 PM
sk425k
Professional

Well first off if you read the instructions about the install they tell you to check for clearance issues.. Which it seems you may not have, second i had a weld break on the tip and yea i go to my friends shop and he welded it back on for me.. Maybe there is something else wrong with your truck. I mean i dont really see how the muffler can really have a rattle in it(its straight through with a mesh) , did you inspect the old one after you uninstalled it? I have had my system on my truck since march and everyone that hears it loves it.. I think you may either have gotten a 'fluke' batch or something else is wrong with your truck.. But do let me know if you find out what the rattle is cuz i dont understand whee it can come from. I would still tell people to get a banks monster exhaust.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:04 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Sorry to hear that man, but the rattle could have been from other places in your exhaust set up not just the muffler, I would have checked all the hangers before I would have even messed with the muffler, if one thing gets lose it rattles like bitch until you find exactly where its coming from. I had to deal with it for a while after I had my exhaust installed, all that happened was a hanger losened up and that was that, the problem was it only did it when driving, never when parked/idoling. As for the tire issue, not to sound in sensative, but thats not really their fault.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:26 PM
cmnspwr
Veteran

I wouldn't touch anything with the Banks name on it with a 10' pole. Especially in the diesel world.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:06 AM
Redbud66
Professional

that sucks dude

Old 09-11-2008, 10:14 AM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cmnspwr
I wouldn't touch anything with the Banks name on it with a 10' pole. Especially in the diesel world.
+1. I am not a fan of Banks at all...

Quick Reply: Banks Monster exhaust was the worst decesion I have ever made!!!