3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Banks Monster exhaust was the worst decesion I have ever made!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 09:40 AM
mike963
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sk425k
Well first off if you read the instructions about the install they tell you to check for clearance issues.. Which it seems you may not have, second i had a weld break on the tip and yea i go to my friends shop and he welded it back on for me.. Maybe there is something else wrong with your truck. I mean i dont really see how the muffler can really have a rattle in it(its straight through with a mesh) , did you inspect the old one after you uninstalled it? I have had my system on my truck since march and everyone that hears it loves it.. I think you may either have gotten a 'fluke' batch or something else is wrong with your truck.. But do let me know if you find out what the rattle is cuz i dont understand whee it can come from. I would still tell people to get a banks monster exhaust.
Yeah it does say check for clearance issues im not an idiot, there was like a half inch there when installed, the system moved. What are we supposed to not have a spare tire if it's close??? It is a flow through muffler although at the exit side the original pipe (where the mesh holes are) fits inside the end and when heated up the metals expand differently and creates the rattle. There is nothing wrong with my truck it is a 04 with 35k completely stock accept for a k&n and the exhaust. I think some of it has to do with the fact that I live in FL and vehicles are subject to more heat here. I'm not saying that it does not work well on your truck, just trying to state my experiences with it.

Banks contacted me and stated they would refund the price of the exhaust not including the tire or origional shipping cost after they recieved the system back so i get to cough up more money up front or ride around with no muffler!!!

For me this system has been a nightmare. Like I said it did sound good but for the price paid seemed very poorly made. I'm having a local guy hang a magnaflow for $250 cheaper, it will fit perfect, be welded and I can finally be done with this mess. I will make sure I send the old system back in the smallest pieces I possibly can

Old 09-16-2008, 09:46 AM
mike963

Originally Posted by truckin151
Sorry to hear that man, but the rattle could have been from other places in your exhaust set up not just the muffler, I would have checked all the hangers before I would have even messed with the muffler, if one thing gets lose it rattles like bitch until you find exactly where its coming from. I had to deal with it for a while after I had my exhaust installed, all that happened was a hanger losened up and that was that, the problem was it only did it when driving, never when parked/idoling. As for the tire issue, not to sound in sensative, but thats not really their fault.
Yeah I thaught it was the hangers at first too but I listened to it with a probe at the muffler shop and narrowed it down to the exit of the muffler. Read my last post, It explains where the noise came from.

Yeah the tire thing cant really be blamed on them but it was just icing on the cake!!!

Last edited by mike963; 09-16-2008 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:45 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Magnaflow makes a nice product.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:42 PM
sk425k
Professional

Originally Posted by mike963
Yeah it does say check for clearance issues im not an idiot, there was like a half inch there when installed, the system moved. What are we supposed to not have a spare tire if it's close??? It is a flow through muffler although at the exit side the original pipe (where the mesh holes are) fits inside the end and when heated up the metals expand differently and creates the rattle. There is nothing wrong with my truck it is a 04 with 35k completely stock accept for a k&n and the exhaust. I think some of it has to do with the fact that I live in FL and vehicles are subject to more heat here. I'm not saying that it does not work well on your truck, just trying to state my experiences with it.

Banks contacted me and stated they would refund the price of the exhaust not including the tire or origional shipping cost after they recieved the system back so i get to cough up more money up front or ride around with no muffler!!!

For me this system has been a nightmare. Like I said it did sound good but for the price paid seemed very poorly made. I'm having a local guy hang a magnaflow for $250 cheaper, it will fit perfect, be welded and I can finally be done with this mess. I will make sure I send the old system back in the smallest pieces I possibly can

i wasnt trying to make you feel like an idoit. But i mean i moved the spare like they said, but after about 10 minutes of beating on it =D it moved right back, my spare is now Zip tied with huge zip ties to the driver side frame rail and i check it weekly. But good luck with your new exhaust!

Last edited by sk425k; 09-17-2008 at 03:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-18-2008, 06:13 PM
mike963

Originally Posted by sk425k
i wasnt trying to make you feel like an idoit. But i mean i moved the spare like they said, but after about 10 minutes of beating on it =D it moved right back, my spare is now Zip tied with huge zip ties to the driver side frame rail and i check it weekly. But good luck with your new exhaust!
No I know you wern't. So what did you do, drop the spare a little and pull it over? I don't think I saw that in the instructions. I thaught a half an inck would be good but I was wrong. The muffler guy told me that HEMI's run hotter than most other engines so it obviously needed more space. Thanks for commenting I am glad it worked out for you. When buying another exhaust im goung to try getting the same mellow throaty sound.

Quick Reply: Banks Monster exhaust was the worst decesion I have ever made!!!