3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2008 Speaker Install Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 12:39 AM
SmittyRN
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sos
Speaking of audio, at some point I want to replace my head unit, but I'm concerned about the look of the factory cutout because of the two half circles where the ***** are. Does anyone have any pictures of how theirs turned out? Anyone find a new bezel that accepts a standard DIN or double DIN head unit? I don't want it to look like a band-aid job.
You can order a navigation bezel from a dealer and get the Metra dash kit, makes for a clean looking install.

Name:  Ram_Radio6.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  64.6 KB
Name:  Ram_Radio7.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  43.9 KB

Old 09-12-2008, 10:16 AM
shooter2747
Amateur

Question on the 4-speaker factory unit? Does it have a factory amp or is it built into the radio. According to the Dodge accessory web site the factory radio's puts out 66 watts.

Thinking about ordering the Infinity Kappa 6X9 3-Way (Front Door) Infinity Reference 6-1/2 2-way (Rear Door) from Crutchfield. Will the system sound better still using the factory head unit?

Old 09-14-2008, 05:18 PM
BigBoreFan

The speakers you have listed in my opinion would be an improvement over the factory speakers. Like I said in an earlier post, my friend has the factory installed amp with 7 speakers and I thought it sounded weak. I had gotten used to my Chevy Silverado with the Bose system.

I would recommend changing the amp alos. The instructions given by Crutchfield explain how to bypass the factory amp and you can get the wiring harness so this is a simple plug and go exchange. My system did not have the factory installed amp. My current system with the Alpine amp sounds better and is louder than my friends factory 7 speaker system.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:45 PM
sos
All Star

Originally Posted by SmittyRN
You can order a navigation bezel from a dealer and get the Metra dash kit, makes for a clean looking install.
That looks nice. How much does the navigation bezel go for at the dealer?

Old 09-14-2008, 07:29 PM
thehemiman12345
All Star

Originally Posted by shooter2747
Question on the 4-speaker factory unit? Does it have a factory amp or is it built into the radio. According to the Dodge accessory web site the factory radio's puts out 66 watts.

Thinking about ordering the Infinity Kappa 6X9 3-Way (Front Door) Infinity Reference 6-1/2 2-way (Rear Door) from Crutchfield. Will the system sound better still using the factory head unit?
66 watts is proably right but thats proabably the total output. If you take the 66watts and divide it by the 4 speakers your lookin at 16.5 watts per speaker, which a factory head unit is capable of producing.

Quick Reply: 2008 Speaker Install Help