3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2008 Speaker Install Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 02:15 PM
Cheeseburger84
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2008 Speaker Install Help

I got a 2008 quad cab sport hemi with the four speaker set up. Does anyone know where I can find out what four speakers I have?

Furthermore, my dash is has the three speakers holes already cut near the windshield. Is there any self help websites that can walk we through installing three more speakers. If so does anyone know the size of these three speakers also. Thanks for anyone that can help!

Old 09-10-2008, 07:57 PM
damien1023
Veteran

you just have the OEM speakers if you dont have 7. If you have 7 speakers you should the inifinity system. I dont know of any websites that would help you install 3 more in the dash but if you just put tweeters in the left and right side of the dash that should sound pretty good as long as you have an amp to run everything... but as far as installing speakers in the dash its pretty much just taking the cover off, mounting them and running wires

Old 09-11-2008, 02:27 AM
SmittyRN
Professional

Crutchfield.com will show you what will fit in the truck. I just replaced all my speakers a few months ago; I took out the 7 speaker setup and installed coax speakers in the rear and components in the front, with the tweeters in the dash. You don't need 7 speakers for the truck anyway, it's not like you have 7.1 surround sound. The 7 speakers that come from the factory pretty much are set up the same (woofers in the front door, tweeters in the dash), with just a small center channel added that doesn't make a lot of sense anyway. I added a 10" JL subwoofer in a box under the rear drivers side seat, and the trucked really rocked. Here's a post about my install and some thoughts.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/160806-kenwood-dnx5120-and-thoughts-on-stereo-installation.html

I just replaced the JL sub, the box, and the Alpine mono amp with a Blaupunkt all in one sub/amp that I stuck under the passenger seat. It sounds good, but nowhere near the kick of the 10" JL. That's the first time I've ever downgraded a stereo, but I wanted my underseat space back. That whole sub/sub-box/mono amp setup is for sale, BTW.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:56 AM
bomrat
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just purchased the same type truck... i am currently purchasing all of my new stereo parts now.. the 3 dash speakers are 3 1/2" front door is 6x9 and rear door is 6 1/2"

imo i wouldn't bother putting the 3 1/2" dash speakers in. i would put a good set in the doors and amp them.

i am installing matching 6 1/2" coax's in each door and then installing 2 10"s under the back seat. i am going to see if i can fit the amps behind the rear seat..

i am going to get a navigation bezel and then install a 2 din clarion navigation.
rockford fosgate 3sixty.2 to eq the system. i have a clarion 4 channel amp for the doors.
i picked up 2 750watt cadence amps for the subs.

the truck is normally a din and a half with the dash adaptor, navigation bezel is a 2 din.

i hope this helps.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:54 AM
Redbud66
Professional

you could also just run a line output converter off the stock speaker wires and put in a crossover and tweeters if you didn't want to mess with replacing the whole system

Old 09-11-2008, 05:49 PM
sos
All Star

Speaking of audio, at some point I want to replace my head unit, but I'm concerned about the look of the factory cutout because of the two half circles where the ***** are. Does anyone have any pictures of how theirs turned out? Anyone find a new bezel that accepts a standard DIN or double DIN head unit? I don't want it to look like a band-aid job.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:39 PM
damien1023
Veteran

i have it replaced, its not my favorite but not too bad. ill post pics later

Old 09-11-2008, 10:35 PM
FrankJames

what bomrat said.

do not put 3 speakers in your dash. for one, that destroys the whole concept of STEREO imaging unless you had an amp with a dedicated center channel, like in a home theater setup. (which to my knowledge doesnt exist in the world of car audio).

take the following words as information, not as condescension:

by starting the thread you did, and making the post you made, youre saying "i want to upgrade my factory stereo". thats great.

by asking how to put 3 speakers in your dash, you're assuming you know the best way TO upgrade that stereo, which is obviously not the case. fortunately, there are people here to help

you want to look at putting a decent set of component speakers in your front doors, and amping them also. those speakers and that amp will only really be utilized well if you have a decent aftermarket head unit as well.

if you want a simpler route, you can replace all the speakers will "better" coaxial speaks. but i would still recommend amping them and replacing HU either way.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:47 PM
damien1023
Veteran

i agree with frank^^... even if you start by just replacing the head unit it will make a world of a difference. however you will want to replace the door speakers as well asap. I do not have my door speakers amped, but i do have an aftermarket head unit and i think it sounds great. with an amp it will sound even better. if you get a component set for the front you will def want to get an amp though...

Old 09-11-2008, 10:53 PM
BigBoreFan

I just did a speaker and amp install in my 07 2500 CTD. My friend bought a new 08 1500 quad cab when I got my diesel. After looking at his truck, I didn't see any changes between the 07 to the 08.

My truck only had 4 factory speakers but it had three empty spaces for speakers in the front dash. I ordered a set ot 6x9s for the front door, a set of 5x7s for the rear doors and a set of 3.5s for the front dash. I left the center speaker space empty for now. I installed an Alpine 40x4 amp to power the speakers. My 6x9s were over powering the other speakers, so I connected the rear speakers and the 3.5s to the rear at 2ohms and I connected the 6x9s to the front channels. This seemed to even out the entire system. I kept my factory deck and I painfully used the speakr level input from the amp. I spent a little over an hour with a solder gun. The install is simple and the truck is easy to take apart.

I bought everything from Crutchfield and they include some great instructions that I wish I could have had 15 years ago when I was into car audio installs. Good Luck.

Quick Reply: 2008 Speaker Install Help