3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Thinking of buying my first Ram

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 01:44 PM
atl_gto
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying my first Ram

I've been seeing the deals on the 2008 closeouts and I'm thinking it might be time to get my first truck.

I'm starting a part-time mobile auto detailing business, and I'll also use the truck for personal use and commuting .

I don't want to spend a lot of money, and I first thought used, but the prices on a used 07 compared to a new 08 are about the same!

What do you guys think of the entry level extended bed V6 with the manual? According to Edmunds TMV pricing they are going for around $13K plus tax, etc

Is this as good as a deal as it sounds?

Anything else I should consider or watch out for? I'm new to pickup trucks and Dodge's in particular. I currently own a 2005 Pontiac GTO with plenty of mods, etc so I'm not looking to trick it out. I'm thinking the only aftermarket stuff I might add is a hitch and the spray-on bedliner.

Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited by atl_gto; 09-11-2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:59 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems alright if that is in your price range.

Down here '08 BigHorn Hemi QC's are going for $16-$17k. So a V6 going for that seems about right.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:21 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

buy the 4.7 if u can swing the extra little bit, it still comes with a manual. the ram is a really heavy truck, and IMO the v6 just won't cut it. gas mileage will be bout the same between the two cuz you'll keep lugging the 6, whereas the new 4.7 is a really peppy engine.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:06 AM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

... especially for the 2008 models where the 4.7 makes some nice horsepower (almost as much as the Hemi) compared to previous years. It's worth the few hundred bucks it'd cost.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying my first Ram