3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Riddle Me This!!???

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 06:50 PM
greenmachine
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Riddle Me This!!???

Tell me please! How this makes any sense. I have a belt currently on my truck that is 114.1 inches long. This belt is a touch to long when tightened. It hits a mounting bracket. I go to put on a belt that is 113.3 inches long and it will not fit on the pullies. Here is the kicker the difference in the location of the tensioner is 4 to 5 inches from one belt to the other.

They do not make a belt that is 113.6 go figure.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:40 AM
whiteonrice
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's only 3/4" difference. Have you put the short belt inside the long belt to see if your measuring right? I can't see why there would be more than 3/4" difference max in where the tensioner sits. Just doesn't make sense.

Rick

Old 09-15-2008, 12:36 PM
kenihemi
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When the tensioner moves an inch, it only takes up a fraction of an inch in the belt length because of the angle it moves the belt.

If you could just get the shorter belt over the edge of the pulleys so it sits in its groove, you may be OK.

Or, you can look into changing to a slightly smaller/larger pulley somewhere you can.

Quick Reply: Riddle Me This!!???