3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rtv or gasket?? mobil 1 or amsoil??

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 01:51 PM
ryland
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rtv or gasket?? mobil 1 or amsoil??

I'm changing my diff fluid this weekend in the front and back. Should I use rtv or use a gasket?? I've never done it before but for some reason the rtv seems hard to use. Any advice would be great. I have the 9.25 and from what I can tell I'll need three quarts for the front and three for the back of 75-90 and 75-140. Should I use mobil 1 or amsoil severe gear for the front and back. Those are realy my only choices at the auto parts store unless I go to another town to buy the oil. I dont have the lsd and both those oils have the friction modifyer in them but from what I've heard it dosent matter eventhough I dont need it. Also the amsoil isn't in a gear oil bottle? is it had to put in?? any advice?

Old 09-12-2008, 01:55 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

rtv, and i vote amsoil, but you can't go wrong either way. there is a DIY for this in the DIY section.

yea, its a bit of a pain with the amsoil bottle, but i got creative with a funnel and it worked out.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:14 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did mine last weekend and used rtv, no leaks so far. I also used the mobil 1 which seems like a pretty good product to me.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:29 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

The trick to getting RTV to last forever----so to speak---is to make absolutely sure that both mating surfaces are totally clean and dry. Using a scotchbrite pad doesn't hurt either. Then, once you have it all bolted in place, let the RTV set up for a few hours, if not over night before you add the gear oil.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:05 PM
throberts
Professional

I replaced the original gasket and working fine for me in 10.5 rear...RTV only with 9.25 front, mopar does not put gaskets on the front diff at the factory, RTV only. Don't know about rear application gasket availability with your diff.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:06 PM
davb673
Veteran

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
rtv, and i vote amsoil, but you can't go wrong either way. there is a DIY for this in the DIY section.

yea, its a bit of a pain with the amsoil bottle, but i got creative with a funnel and it worked out.
DITTO. I just changed mine this weekend, and installed a Powertrax Lock-rite.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:55 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Quick Reply: rtv or gasket?? mobil 1 or amsoil??