3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

bad times changing rear diff.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 07:22 PM
ryland
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad times changing rear diff.

So got my amsoil severe gear, break cleaning fluid, plastic putty knife, scotch brite pad, gasket removeing fluid (incase the brake cleaning fluid dident work), my new rtv, screw driver, 13mm socket. Took the cover off easy enough. Then began cleaning the rtv off the diff and diff cover. IT WOULD NOT COME OFF!!!!!!!!!!! from 10 AM to 2 PM I scrubbed at the rtv, spraying the cleaner, using the putty knifem using the pad. IT just wouldent come off. I had to take sand paper to the in side of the diff cover. I got it off the diff it's self with the scotch brite pad. I also used the scotch pad on the outside to get it out of the holes and now the powder coating is all stripped off the outside ring of the cover and looks horrible! I went to the store to get some paint to paint the cover before I put it back on but I'm not ever going to do that again and I still have to do the front. I put the cover back on with no rtv to keep dirt out but I think I'm going to order the mag hitec diff cover and not drive my truck till I get it and put it all togather. Paying 250 and never having to deal with rtv again is well worth it to me. From what I can tell they dont make a front cover though!!!!!!!!! Do any of you know if they do or if I can get one with an o ring so I wont have to do the rtv thing again? Otherwise I'm just going to have the dealer do the front every time I guess.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:37 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

why not just use a gasket instead, you can do either. But I don't know why you had so much trouble, I've gotten mine off quite easily with a $1.99 paint scraper.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:43 PM
ryland
Rookie

schucks sells a rear gasket but I cant find anyone that sells a front

Old 09-13-2008, 08:04 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Anything you can't find that has anything to do with axles & diffs, go to Randy's Ring & Pinion. $9.89...

http://www.ringpinion.com/DiffDetail...dChrysler+8.25

Old 09-13-2008, 09:13 PM
johnmichael

I just changed my rear diff, and I was trying to find a tool that would make removing the old RTV a little easier. I found that a RailRoad spike takes it off effortlessly and leaves behind very little scratches. I was originally scrubbing with Brillo Pads, Sandpaper, and plastic scrapers and when I discovered the RR spike, it took just a few minutes to do the entire rear diff cover.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:27 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whay don't you try a power drill, with one of those fine grade revolving wire brush bits in the end.
I know I do, and the RTV comes off a charm.
If you use a small battery drill, you can even do the front as well.
My 2p.
Al.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:49 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

I'm with hammer, had no trouble. Leaving a bit of the old stuff really isn't a problem as long as you get all the chunks out. You don't have to scrub and grind and sand till every bit of black or red is gone. It's RTV sealing a pretty much unpressurized housing, you could almost leave a dime in there and it'll seal around it.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:50 PM
ryland
Rookie

so I just finished doing the rear today. I sanded all the paint off the diff cover since most of it was off anyways and spraypainted it with rustoleum black automotive primet, which matches the original color perfectly. sealed it with rtv and looks great, now just waiting for it to cure. Maybe my problem was that im a ocd and had to have every little bit of rtv off. When I finnished the surfaces were shiny perfect metal. I'm not even going to try to do the front, I looked at it and it's pretty hard to access to clean. So I'll take it to the dealer or to a local guy and have them put the amsoil in the front as well.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:57 PM
ryland
Rookie

oh and I forgot to mention that when I took the rubber stopper out to check the oil level, I put the srewdriver under it and the stopper split and started cracking. Once I got it out it leaves little pieces of rubber on my hands when I touch it! From what I can figure thats form all the road salt they put down in the winter. So I think I'm just going to wipe some lithium grease on it before winter to see if that protects it.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:57 PM
dazed01
Veteran

I use a air powered 90 degree die grinder with a scotch brite pad. Takes probably 5 minutes to clean it till it shines.

Quick Reply: bad times changing rear diff.