3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 04:21 AM
HICK22145
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stalling

Hello I'm new to this site, seems like a lot of smart people on here. I spent about 2-3 hours on here the other day going through all the postings and I didn't see anything that is exactly the same troubles I'm having.
First off my truck is a 2006 big horn 5.7 hemi.
My problem is that it will not stay running at a idle. sometimes it will idle for a minute or two and stall or other times it will idle for twenty min's and stall. Then other times it don't stall. It happens in gear and in park. sometimes in drive throughs or at stop lights(most common at stop lights). And sometimes when I'm driving down the road crusing it acts like it stumbled like it lost power and got it back right away (almost like a bad spot in the t.p.s). It has been doing this from the time I bought it about a year and a half ago (bought it from a auction). Took it to a dealer ship 4-5 times when it was still under warrenty. They reprogramed I think by now all the computers. changed the E.G.R. valve, throttle body, and I think the mass air flow sensor. Every time it was "FIXED" Still having problems.
Now the bad part, it has only loged two codes sense I've owned it. The first one was for the gas cap not being closed all the way so I finished screwing the gas cap on must of been in a hury. And the other was for the P.C.M. which was only a few days after they reprogramed it and they had to but a new P.C.M on it after that CLE came on.
So do you guys and gals if their hear have any ideas? If it has a locking torque converter bad would I have that hesitation when cruzing aroud 45-60MPH? Could it be a TPS? The truck allways starts right back up so I don't think its a fuel problem?????????

Other than that, the tie rod ends wearing out fast, And the snow/mud packing in the 20in rims making a heck of a vibration I really like the truck Just cannot afford to take it to the dealer and have them through parts at it now that the warrentys out on it!
I really like this site and I hope someone can help.
Thanks for reading this long post!

Old 09-17-2008, 09:34 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of gas are you putting in it?

Only 2 things come to mind quickly, first is low octane or bad gas and/or possibly a bad program on the new CPU.

The reason I am stating the gas, is that the Hemi calls for 89 octane. Alot of people run 87 with no problems, but at the same time they are using top quality gas. So if you are putting the generic cheap gas from gas station with no name, you might be getting bad gas through it.

Regarding the tune on the CPU, the tech may have uploaded the current tune that they have in their programmer, but it is possible that their programmer has an old tune that is not up to date for the '06. There have been several owners on here that had to get there cpu reprogrammed after minor mods that should have not have effected the cpu at all, but once they got an updated tune from dodge, everything worked ok.

So the first thing that I would do, when you can since gas is hard to get now for you, is burn the gas down to at least half a tank. Fill up with premium somewhere like Mobil, Sunoco, Chevron, etc. and see if the problem continues after driving it about 50 miles. Problems goes away, then start using better gas. Problem stays, you will have to wait till a dealer open to get it checked.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:27 AM
HICK22145
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well lately I've been running 87, But I have ran 3-4 tanks of 89 and a few tanks of 92. That didn't seem to make any change to how it ran. That was all "Brand Name" gas.

Quick Reply: Stalling