3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Flood damage or just driven in water?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 03:20 PM
KB9RQD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flood damage or just driven in water?

I recently purchased a used 06 Ram Laramie QC that was previously titled in South Dakota. As I have been doing some upgrades I have noticed a couple of things that make me think that this truck has been in water. First, while installing nerf bars, water came out along with the cab mount bolts. No much but enough to make me wonder. Next, I had new tires put on and the tire tech asked if I knew that there was water inside my old tires. Too much just to be condensation... Then last night as I was under the truck doing an oil change and rear diff service (no broken clips, yet) I noticed some weeds stuck on the frame. The thing is, they look aquatic.

Now could it be someone backing the truck in the water to launch a boat? Or maybe driving thru a flodded area? I don't see any signs of flood markings in the cab or engine compartments and all fluids show no water contamination.

Any ideas?

Jim

Old 09-17-2008, 06:04 PM
sk425k
Professional

the weeds just could be from the previous pwner taking it off road and never bothering to spray the bottom down well. But i agree with you that the water from the body mounts seem suspicious.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:20 PM
RAM_05
Rookie

I launch my jet ski or a boat at least 3 times a week. I don't think I have ever gone in far enough to get water where the nerf bars would be installed. So I would throw that theory out the window.

More likely I would guess some offroading. It could be a flood, just that the water didn't get into the cab because it wasn't high enough. You would definitely notice water stains on the carpets.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:51 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This kind of stuff is why I don't really like used vehicles and don't know that I ever want another. I don't think I've had anything like that but I haven't had the best of luck with them either. I like to know the whole history of it like I would if I buy it new.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:03 PM
Redbud66
Professional

+1 on that one

Old 09-17-2008, 07:25 PM
flwalks
Professional

Purchased my 2007 new from the dealer and when I installed my SS steps the cab mounts had water in them. I think the rubber will hold water if sealed well. My truck had 250 miles on it but was driven up from a dealer 200 + miles away because my dealer didn't have what I wanted. May not be a smoking gun for a flood victim.

Last edited by flwalks; 09-17-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:52 PM
Toefur
Professional

Yup...when I put my nerf bars on, I had water come from my body mount bushings as well.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:57 PM
throberts
Professional

great friend of mine bought a used truck that we determined in hindsight had flood damage...the lot did a beautiful job of making it look cherry, but upon pulling down the sunvisors there was silt galore behind them....truck had been in a river flood. Luckily, it was a great truck and never gave him a bit of problem. But check around spots on the truck that are well hidden to see if there's any silt buildup or rust in places there shouldn't be to help you confirm or rule out a flood history.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:46 PM
KB9RQD
Thumbs up

Ok, Thanks for the replies. I guess the water in the bushings was the thing that worried me the most but if others have had that happen... Probably just a carwash with the underbody spray.

Had the dealer look up the service history as well as call the first owner. Guy was a duck hunter, that explains the weeds. No warning signs in the repair history.

Otherwise, a great truck! 9-10MPG towing my 7000# boat/trailer and 18+ on the highway. Lots more power than my old Chevy

Jim

Quick Reply: Flood damage or just driven in water?