3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

SC cortex installed today

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 01:29 PM
throberts
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC cortex installed today

Plugged in the cortex and loaded the 87 tune, i'm still sitting on a half tank of 87 so I'm going to wait to burn it so I can load 93...anyway, this thing is worth the price alone just for the shift firmness....gives this big ol' heavy girl of mine much more grunt, no complaints here. Besides that the only thing I noticed were the revs are a bit higher. Like I said, this is just on 87 tune...I'll do another review when I go through 93 octane for a while. I know everyone has different opinions with these tuners/and tuning levels. I am quite pleased with my purchase though, just from the "seat of pants" ...feels like a different animal.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:11 PM
Fleisch
Rookie

Sweet, sounds like nice results! Glad your happy with your purchase. I've been thinking about getting a the Flashpaq from Superchip, what made you choose the cortex?

Old 09-18-2008, 02:34 PM
throberts
Professional

it's the same tunes available for the flashpaq....SC is just making it easier for suppliers by getting rid of all the different tuners with different part #'s and making it for 1 make of vehicle each...like chevy, dodge, ford etc each one just has 1 tuner...you just update it online to fit your particular application. The Cortex gives you a 2 year powertrain warranty as well where the flashpaq does not...that's what swayed me there, a bit more peace of mind.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Fleisch
Rookie

Ahh I see. That warranty sounds like a nice thing haha.
So even with the 87 tune your feeling gains in performance? Hows the mileage?

Old 09-18-2008, 05:26 PM
mmstar23
Champion

with programmers, you really gotta find what "your" truck likes. not evry dodge ram is the same. one will like this tune and another will like that tune. just find one that gives the best results for your truck. you might have to play with it a litttle bit to find what it wants exactly

Old 09-18-2008, 10:43 PM
throberts
Professional

don't know about mileage yet...it's pretty poor today since I've been getting on the throttle alot to have some fun with it. That and I'm wanting to crank it up to the performance tune with 93 octane...trying to empty the tank, which is not a problem with my truck. I don't know if I'm ultra sensitive to the feel of my truck, but I can really tell a difference even at this level. Feels like the TCM is almost nonexistent...you can still tell it's there a bit if you go WOT and back off, but it's still like night and day. Don't know why some people say they don't notice any difference with these tuners. Although my truck is basically a 3/4 ton with a hemi since it has no MDS....this may be why, but I'm just guessing here.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:12 AM
Fleisch
Rookie

I'm planning on picking up mine sometime next week. Hopefully I see a nice improvement like you have. Tell me how it feels when you run the 93 tune.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:14 PM
HEMIslide
Rookie

Originally Posted by throberts
Don't know why some people say they don't notice any difference with these tuners.
I installed my 3815 about two weeks ago and noticed it right away. Not sure how one couldnt notice, unless there is an issue w/ the install or truck (or something?).

-slide

Old 09-20-2008, 12:38 AM
MDSBigPaPa
Veteran
Wink I Didn't Notice a Big Difference Until I Upgraded to V1.18 Database 207+

Originally Posted by HEMIslide
I installed my 3815 about two weeks ago and noticed it right away. Not sure how one couldnt notice, unless there is an issue w/ the install or truck (or something?).

-slide
When I first got the 3815 for my '07 2500HD Mega Cab back in June; I didn't notice a lot of difference but, that was with V1.15 database 104. It wasn't till I had upgraded to V1.18 database 207 and beyond that I saw significant changes because these updates had better calibrations for my '07 Mega Cab.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:36 PM
throberts
Professional

well...after playing around with performance tune with 93 octane, there is quite a noticable difference with take-off between the 87 and 93 tune. shift firmness feels the same with both tunes....MPG is the same...but like I said, I've been having waaaaaay to much fun punching the throttle...it might be several fillups until I get the new toy aspect out of my system to do a conservative MPG review. Fun little tuner though....no complaints.

Quick Reply: SC cortex installed today