3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Noise in front brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 08:11 AM
tubguy79
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise in front brakes?

2004 1500 4.7 83,000 miles
First time posting. Problem is I have a noise like pads all the way wore down and grinding into the rotor, the only thing is that I have put new pads, rotors and calipers on it. I'm only talking about the fronts. I can not figure the noise out. When braking smooth as silk just like new. No shuttering in pedal or steering. NOise is only there when applying the brakes. As soon as I let off brake pedal, no noise. After driving for about 20 minutes noise goes away. Then if trucks sits for a few hours it is back again.?????
Now for the last part I have recently put new 20 inch rims and tires on it. 2 weeks ago. Same rim size as before. These rims are aluminum of course and my stock rims were steel and chrome platted. The tire size is a little diffrent
had: P275/60/20 now 285/50/20 Basicall an inch wider and inch shorter.
Any help greatly apperciated.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:21 AM
tafet
Professional

Did you put any of that brake quiet stuff on the back of the pads? Other than that you might check if the shims on the pads and caliper are a little loose. If they were a little loose they might squeak a little, and when they heat up after use they expand and tighen up. I wouldn't think that the tire would be it. I think that if it was it'd make noise all the time. It's just a thought. Good luck.

Old 09-19-2008, 01:32 PM
tubguy79

Would the upper or lower control arm assembly,bushings,and ball joints have anything to do with it??? Just a thought!

Old 09-21-2008, 07:31 PM
onlyinadodge

Sounds like pad material is different than before. Some pads have a different composition that is more or less metallic than OEM. Sometimes the metal particles get little rust build up or roughness. The first application after sitting is scrubs off and the noise goes away. The returns after cooling. Sometimes is more noticed after washing or raining.
Try using a different brand of pads and/or rotors.

Quick Reply: Noise in front brakes?