3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

08 hard top tonneau cover issues?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 09:14 AM
Skullycapone
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 hard top tonneau cover issues?

Few question about tonneau covers

1. Will it help with gas mileage, I would assume it would because of the wind not catching the tailgate

2. Will it give you a little more speed, I assume it wouldc again because of no tailgate wind issues

3. 2008 trucks have that fin on the back, I have heard there is issues when you remove the fin and install a hardtop, the holes from the fin will show, true or false

4. I am only going with a hardtop and having it painted to match my truck, which model is best in your opinion

thanks

Old 09-20-2008, 11:51 AM
jstmahoney
Captain

i know if you take off the fin their will be holes exposed

Old 09-20-2008, 01:18 PM
throberts
Professional

1. nope....well, maybe a bit..but not enough to notice much with thirsty hemi's, if all you did was interstate driving and kept your RPMs less than 1.8K the whole time, you might notice a difference...but nothing substantial.
2. if you get a fiberglass cover you will probably go slower just due to the added weight versus any aerodynamic gain...negligible difference again as far as "seat of your pants" noticing anything.
3. couldn't tell you about "fins" on 2008's...I have a 2008 and I don't see any fins on the bed or tailgate.
4. Leer and ARE are your best bet for color matching hard tonneau's...there are lighter aluminium models out there, but I haven't heard anything good/bad about them yet.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:20 PM
Skullycapone
Rookie

Ya right now im leaning towards the LEER 800 series which would look like this but in black crystal pearl paint (hopefully)

Im just worried about the holes from the fin/spoiler or whatever ya wanna call it

Old 09-20-2008, 02:50 PM
HEMIslide
Rookie

When I was looking at hard covers, the guy at the truck toy store that I went to said that you have to take the fin off, but there is also a part that replaces that in order to allow the hard cover to fit, which, I would assume, fits in the holes for the fin.

Hope that helps and/or makes sense.

-slide

Old 09-20-2008, 03:29 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Does it help with mileage Id have to say yes, I have seen an increase of a little over a 1.5mpg (pen and paper) but I also added gears at the same time so its hard to say exactly what just the hard cover did. For speed, maybe a higher top speed due to better aerodynamics but nothing that you will ever notice, also after adding mine you could tell the extra weight was there too. I have no clue about the 08 fin though as mines an 05'. I went with the ARE cover, the lines match up perfectly with the hoods look as well so it adds a little extra flair and comes painted to match your factory paint.

Quick Reply: 08 hard top tonneau cover issues?