3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Grille options.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 01:18 AM
ried69
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grille options.

So I want to do something with my grille. Quite honestly, I don't care for the Honeycomb that I have.

I've thought about some things to do with it, but want some of your opinions.
First thought: Paint the honeycombs. What I'd do, is tape up the front of the grille, then from the backside, spray paint it gray like my paint color. So it's an illusion type of thing as you go by. Regular black from the front, then changes to gray as you view it at an angle.

Second thought: Billet grille
They look sweet, and I'd go with something like this:
Name:  47e5_1.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  29.1 KB
Found another one like that, but the bottom area in between the plastic and metal bumper, it has cutouts for tow hooks in that one.

Third thought: Mesh grille
Not as good as billet, but they still look pretty sweet. I kinda like it:
Name:  be43_1.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  9.7 KB

Fourth Thought: Grille insert
I've been contemplating this one, then I noticed another member said something about this the other day. I don't like it up close, but it looks sweet far away. But your opinions on this one:
Name:  D25720Ba1.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  67.8 KB
Or some other inserts I kinda like:
Flames:
Name:  O171.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  27.2 KB

Tribal Flames:
Name:  O284.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  24.6 KB
Tribal:
Name:  O180.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  25.2 KB

I kinda like those two because I want to get a Tribal Ram head and put that on my windshield. Because I like the looks of those, but what do you guys have/like/suggest for a person to get/do?

Old 09-21-2008, 01:46 AM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

Personal Opinion: go with the billet, nice look. Basically, the first pic you have posted.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:29 AM
RaiderJay6
Record Breaker

I like the mesh look myself.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:41 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going to do your ram with a tribal look, then get the tribal grill inserts. I personally like the tight billet look like the first picture. BTW, that billet grill you have pictured is also an insert and not a full billet.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:40 PM
SweeTbone

Originally Posted by L and R Two
BTW, that billet grill you have pictured is also an insert and not a full billet.

So what exactly is the difference? I have the honeycomb grill as well and would like to get that type of grill. I've seen TOO many on eBay and I'm not sure which one to buy. How is the install of these grills as well?

Old 09-21-2008, 03:12 PM
thehemiman12345
All Star

Go with the billet grille. The grille inserts look ugly and tacky...

And while you're at it paint the honeycomb to match your truck...just for the heck of it.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:09 AM
ried69
Record Breaker

If you are going to do your ram with a tribal look, then get the tribal grill inserts. I personally like the tight billet look like the first picture. BTW, that billet grill you have pictured is also an insert and not a full billet.
That's not necessarily the one that I'm going to get. Just put up pictures of some.
I think I might pull off the grille this weekend if I get some freetime, and paint it. If it looks bad, I could always put it back to black.

I'll give you an update upon how it looks once I do.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:43 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

Originally Posted by SweeTbone

So what exactly is the difference? I have the honeycomb grill as well and would like to get that type of grill. I've seen TOO many on eBay and I'm not sure which one to buy. How is the install of these grills as well?
What he has pictured is a billet insert kit. The inserts are a couple hundred cheaper than getting a replacement billet grill. An actual billet grill will completely replace the entire grill, thus removing the chrome cross section of the grill.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:29 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

What he has pictured is a billet insert kit. The inserts are a couple hundred cheaper than getting a replacement billet grill. An actual billet grill will completely replace the entire grill, thus removing the chrome cross section of the grill.
As far as Dodges though, isn't the a billet? Only said because today when I was waiting for the custom shop in my area to completely waste two damn hours of my day, I looked through a 2008 add-on catalog for trucks. When I got to grilles, it said nothing about just an insert. I know we used to have an old Chevy with a full billet grille. But either way, I wouldn't really want to get rid of the Dodge emblem. My truck wears it with pride.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:34 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

I don't know if you can get a billet grill through the dealer. The look that comes on the trucks are not actual billet and they are not inserts.

I got my inserts through grills4u off of EBay. You can buy full billet grills aftermarket that will bolt on in place of factory grill though.

Quick Reply: Grille options.