3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

changing EGR on 04 HEMI

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 05:07 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing EGR on 04 HEMI

i have read in the DIY section on how to change the egr but my question is if you change it do you have to do anything with the computor? Maybe I didn't read close enough! lol I have a buddy with a 04 that I'm trying to help is why I'm asking. Thanks

Old 09-22-2008, 07:36 PM
eaglestorm
Professional

just change it there are 4 bolts 2 mount to the eng and 2 to the egt pipe. and there is a elec plug also. you dont have to tell the pcm anything. If you are replacing it because there is a code? there is most likely a flash update for the pcm

Old 09-22-2008, 10:09 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

If it's throwing an EGR code then you can use a scanner to clear it...or just wait it out after you put the new EGR valve in. After a certain number of driving cycles without a repeat code being thrown the check engine light will go off.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:26 AM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
If it's throwing an EGR code then you can use a scanner to clear it...or just wait it out after you put the new EGR valve in. After a certain number of driving cycles without a repeat code being thrown the check engine light will go off.
I have heard that disconnecting the battery for a length of time would clear the codes. Is that true?

Old 09-23-2008, 09:58 AM
PT-Panther

Yes, But it also looses it's memory. Meaning if you had a problem with something and you were going to take it to a dealer for it .The computer will have forgotten the problem. All problems. It'll still works, but it forgot things.I did it to correct my mileage computer. It went back to normal ,but when I had it on there computer for something else it was gone.

Quick Reply: changing EGR on 04 HEMI