3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Strange Dashboard noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 09:24 AM
WeightLifter500
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Dashboard noise

So when I am driving along I occasionally get a weird noise that sounds like it is coming from the dash board somewhere around where the radio is. It is a squeaking type of noise and it only occurs when I hit bumps. The strange thing about it is that I can drive for days, even weeks, and not hear it and then all of the sudden it will come back. I can drive to my girlfriends house and it will be dead quite like normal and then I could drive back and it will be squeaking a little. Does anyone have the same thing going with their truck or know what could be causing it? Like I said it only does it every now and then.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:09 AM
BCGray
Amateur

Sounds like a heater fan to me......or maybe "Gremlins" Try turning your heater (HVAC) fan off and see if the sound disappears

Old 09-30-2008, 04:39 PM
WeightLifter500
Veteran

Well I don't think it is the heater fan... after testing once the sound appeared turning the fan on didn't make much of a differance. Two days ago I drove 80 miles (including a little bit in a field) and I didn't have the sound come up. The next day when I was driving to school the sound was there, but while driving back it was gone. weird. The sound appears to be coming from the area of which the radio is located because if I push in on the radio or down on the dashboard above the radio the sound temporarly disappears. Nothing in that area has been changed and everything is stock. Any other ideas? It like a squeaking noise.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:51 PM
Speedway

I may have the same problem..symptoms are the same. Push down on the cup holder and it goes away. Sounds like the metal support frame rubbing on plastic. Going to tear into it (again) this weekend. I'll take a pic if I can find the source.

I hate this truck.

Last edited by Speedway; 10-03-2008 at 11:56 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:48 PM
dodgenitto
Record Breaker

I have an annoying ticking sound! The dealer took the dash apart and insulated some stuff behind the dash, but it solved nothing! If I push on the dash above the speedo it goes away, but if I push on the cup holder it goes away also! This leads me to believe that it has to be where the dash comes in contact with a support or where the dash has a seam! Because it goes away when the dash has pressure twisting it some where!

Good luck finding it! I have been chasing mine for a year trying to find the exact spot!

Old 10-04-2008, 06:25 PM
yugowego

Mine does the same thing, I punch the dash board when it happens, doesnt help, but it makes me feel better...

It also makes a whislting noise near the speedometer when its really cold out, will stop once the truck warms up....oh well...

Old 10-04-2008, 09:44 PM
namrog

The exact noise you described is new to my truck and it drives me insane (little things like that usually do) Let me know if anyone figures it out!

Old 10-05-2008, 12:04 AM
Speedway

Over time, various materials within the assembly shift around due to heat, humidity, vibration and general abuse. I think the source of the noise comes from the steel dash support (cup holder is tied to this) rubbing on the inside of the plastic bezel behind the radio and HVAC controls. I was able to duplicate the noise by grabbing a hold of the stamped steel dash support near the floor and wiggling back and forth.

Try this for a fix...worked for me. Pull fascia (below cup holder) away from frame and loosen the two bolts (10 mm socket) shown circled in red. Wiggle the assembly (circled in blue) to alleviate stresses and re-tighten bolts.

Let me know if it worked.

Bryan.

Name:  912e03c2.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  244.6 KB

Old 10-06-2008, 10:53 PM
WeightLifter500
Veteran

Well at least I am not the only one dealing with this problem. Bryan I will try what you are suggesting on wednesday when I don't have any classes. I have to change the oil anyways so I might as well try that before I go to work. And the sqeaking is annoying... especially when you are showing off to your friends how great your new 20000 truck,that you bought is. After all I am only 19 so it impresses them alot.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:03 PM
usa1974
Angry Dash Noise On 2008 Hemi TRX

2008 three months old and the dash is already rattling! I found the problem though, it's the dash trim next to the windshield with the air vent and speaker looking holes. I pried it up and took it out and went for a teat drive and the noise was gone. I got some self adhesive installation put all the way around the piece and put it back on and didn't get out the drive before the noise started back, took it out again and put some electrical tape on the fasteners stuck it back in and noise came back. It is currently out until I can figure out how to make it not rattle. The hammer is about to take care of it as my temper is boiling hot.

Quick Reply: Strange Dashboard noise