3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

snow and 2WD

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 12:42 PM
a4twenty
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i had 2WD i always had to put ~200# of sand bags in the back and / or plan my route to avoid hills that i may have to stop on. i could still get around without the sand but didn't feel safe and got stuck in the saddest spots some times.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:59 PM
02Steve1990
Record Breaker

yeah put some weight in the bed of the truck to get more weight pushing down on the tires...bricks will do the job

Old 09-30-2008, 03:06 PM
Jeepis
Rookie

Also, maintain a LONG following distance! This helps out in case someone slams their brakes in front of you, but also, if the person in front of you is being an idiot, stops, etc, you can maintain momentum by continuing slowly and not having to stop.

With 2wd in a pickup on an icy road going up a hill, stopping is sometimes the LAST thing you want to do.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:22 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Every pickup I've ever had has been a 4x4, seven of 'em. But when I grew up in upstate NY, all my friends with 4x2's used sand in the bed for winter driving. about 75 lbs just inside each tire well. An added benefit is that if you use sand, you can bust open a bag for traction should you get stuck...

Old 09-30-2008, 09:23 PM
dodgenitto
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by pandczach
Does anyone know how the 1500 2WD handles in the snow? I am thinking of buying one, and I wasnt sure how it does. It is a 2004, 5.7 hemi.
WORTHLESS!!!! Don't waste your time buying a 2WD if you live where it snows and need the truck on snowy days! I have been in a Wal*mart parking lot and had to put it in 4WD just to get out of the parking lot!

You could spend the money and put sand in the back! But I live in Colorado and would not own a 2Wd truck! I would not be able to get anywhere! But if you live in a place where it might snow once in a blue moon then go for it! You have to choose what is going to be best for you in your situation!

Last edited by dodgenitto; 09-30-2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:56 PM
pcollins
Veteran

Originally Posted by dodgenitto
WORTHLESS!!!! Don't waste your time buying a 2WD if you live where it snows and need the truck on snowy days! I have been in a Wal*mart parking lot and had to put it in 4WD just to get out of the parking lot!

You could spend the money and put sand in the back! But I live in Colorado and would not own a 2Wd truck! I would not be able to get anywhere! But if you live in a place where it might snow once in a blue moon then go for it! You have to choose what is going to be best for you in your situation!
What part of CO?

I plan on moving just outside Denver, in Aurora, this spring to attend UCHSC's physical therapy program.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:15 PM
Johnboy7701
Rookie

I lived in Upstate NY for a little while my senior year, I have a pretty good sense of driving in the snow with a RWD but never a truck.. here in Missouri it doesnt snow that much, we get a lot of ice and 4WD doesnt do much in the ice either...

Old 09-30-2008, 11:24 PM
reindeerman
Rookie

Each to their own. I own a 4-wheel drive because I need it to be able to pull a trailer up my gravel drive all year long. Not a fan of 4 wheel but I do need it. You pay for it all the time with increased fuel, maintenance, taxes and insurance costs.

The sand thing makes sense. Don’t shoot the messengers on that one.

Down here in the hills of East Tennessee when we get snow there are problems of ice on some roads that do not see much sunlight during the winter. Especially with our “hills”. Like they say if you can drive in the snow here when we have it you can drive anywhere!

A few years ago I went north to New York State in early March (I was not towing and no extra weight in the bed). My luck, record snow falls while I was in route. Caught snow in mid Ohio. Interstate closed south bound in Cleveland, I was north bound. White-out in PA, I had to take to the completely snow covered left lane to avoid the locals. Once in New York State, arrived to two foot of new snow. Slid around a little the first night of arrival. The next day I was off again on a 400 mile round trip excursion to the mid-state area, to areas where there were no snow plows. I didn’t have any problems other than trying to keep the windshield clean. Locals were running off the roads all around me. I thought they would know how to drive in the stuff!.... Long story short I never engaged the 4-wheel drive on that trip!

I have similar stories on other trips. Common sense comes into play. Drive cautious and smooth and allow for everyone else to screw-up.

I have friends that live just outside of Denver and only have a 2-wheel drive Ram. Go figure!

Old 10-01-2008, 12:06 AM
Ben D.
Champion

common sense is the best way to go with it. 4x4 makes it so slightly stupider people can get around in the snow. smart people can drive anything anywhere in any weather. I drove my friends dropped 94 del sol fwd in the snow to school and had no problems. and that car sits about ooo 2 in off the ground maybe. i had a jeep wrangler for three years and i did not once ever feel that i needed the four wheel drive at all. two wheel did perfectly all year round.

Quick Reply: snow and 2WD