3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Just got a 1500 Lone Star..got q's

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 01:12 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Just got a 1500 Lone Star..got q's

My dad just bought a 2005 Ram 1500 Lone Star edition quad cab 2wd, and I've got a few q's.

1. What is the normal breaking period for the HEMI? 500 miles?

2. What transmisison does it have, I assume 545RE?

3. What axle style does it have? The spec sheet indicates a 3.55 posi, but what locking method does it have, limited slip or solid? I assume limited?

4. What does Tow/Haul do? I've read it locks out 5th gear and always chooses the lower 2nd gear (for the 545RE) by adjusting shift points. What else does it do?

5. What trailer plug is it? our GMC has a HD 7 round pin jack w/ trailer brake as accesory, how can we adapt the 7 flat pin plug to match, are there adapters on the market? We have a boat and 16 ft ute trailer, both with the same pattern as the GMC.

6. What does the HEMI get fuel wise? the spec sheet said 14/18, and i read on the internat, a tester averaged 12.7 in a 4wd non-lone star version of our truck- is 14 about right for the city? My ad will mostly be driving 5 or 6 days a week between here and dallas since he's a field tech, and he'll also be making accasional trips to abilene, north louisiana, and sometimes even to houston. He hauls a 6' long manual folding forklift (that barely will clear the ram's 6' bed) plus a 5' dual step ladder and infinite bags of parts and tools. Will the ram hold up to that kind of abuse (it has rhino-lined bed)? It will also be a family hauler (camper shell is being considered for security). Will a camper shell work with the rhino-lining?

7. Finally, what are the known trouble spots on the newer rams, ie overheating in traffic?

Old 02-05-2005, 01:36 AM
Silver Eagle
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Just got a 1500 Lone Star..got q's

I can help you with some of these.. #1 It's already broke in. I hauled a 6,ooo lb boat the first week we had it ,no problems. used 89 oct for hauling.. got 13.4 mpg. #2 look iside the glove box.,there's a spec sheet glued inside. #5 the dealer has it in parts. or you can go to a local trailer supply store . very cheap. #6 What size ram did he get 1500 ,2500, 3500. If it's a 1500 the bed may not hold the camper ,you may have to run chains to the frame. use 89 oct when hauling it or the boat. You may want to carry a five gallon jug of water in texas in the summer. Just in case.Can't hurt.

Old 02-05-2005, 02:08 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts
Default RE: Just got a 1500 Lone Star..got q's

thanks. 1500

Quick Reply: Just got a 1500 Lone Star..got q's