3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

need help with amp/subs

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 10:54 PM
dallas_cowboy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with amp/subs

as some of you know i have a ram 1500 (quad). I had a system in my malibu which included an 800 watt amp and 2 rockford fosgate 12" subs with 400 watts of power each which bumped really good with the amp set it at mid level power.

After taking it out of the car and installing it in the truck (under the back seat), it seems that i have to turn the amp's power very low for it to sound right. Problem is, it doesnt bump. It just sounds nice. As soon as I turn the power back up (less than mid level) it sounds as if the subs wanna bust! and it sounds horrible.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what i could do to make it sound clear but still get some kick? I know its not going to sound like when it was in my car but this sucks in comparison!!

Old 10-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Jarrod904
Veteran

it wont.. because there is not enough airspace under the seats.. ive been through normal subs and shallow mount subs and could not get them to sound right, so i took out the single seat and put a sub in its place. or you can go to 10 inch subs never heard them so idk

Old 10-06-2008, 11:29 PM
dallas_cowboy

Originally Posted by Jarrod904
it wont.. because there is not enough airspace under the seats.. ive been through normal subs and shallow mount subs and could not get them to sound right, so i took out the single seat and put a sub in its place. or you can go to 10 inch subs never heard them so idk
i figured that fact about the airspace...that sucks. guess i have to either mod the f*** out of it or settle. What a waste of power...

Old 10-06-2008, 11:46 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb Think it through

Ok while I dont have a quad cab, there are a few tricks you might want to try... Ok first off, there is a fine line when it comes to air space. For the best sound, you actually have to choke some of the air space out. When you mounted your subs in the box, did you also wrap the batting around the inside of the box? The box makers send this with the box. It actually "tricks" the sub so it acts like it doesnt have alot of air space. For the bes sound you need to have the most air space possible on the inside of your box.
Your second option would be only if your subs are a dual voice coil. Have you bridged the wiring from the box to the amp? that will let you put the mots power to your subs.
if you have your sub mounted up, try and see if you can turn the whole sub (and box) upside down.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:01 AM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea I have a 2000w system 500rms to each of my two alpine 12" subs. And 1000w to all my speakers. I have a huge ported box replacing the rear seat. I literally vibrate change in my friends car across the street as in it's wayyy too loud. I am going to down grade to under the seats. I love all the bass but it isnt practical. your best bet is to go with my idea on making an enclosure. Look in the thread called sub options on page 2 or 3. I typed out my idea.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:04 AM
dallas_cowboy

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
Ok while I dont have a quad cab, there are a few tricks you might want to try... Ok first off, there is a fine line when it comes to air space. For the best sound, you actually have to choke some of the air space out. When you mounted your subs in the box, did you also wrap the batting around the inside of the box? The box makers send this with the box. It actually "tricks" the sub so it acts like it doesnt have alot of air space. For the bes sound you need to have the most air space possible on the inside of your box.
Your second option would be only if your subs are a dual voice coil. Have you bridged the wiring from the box to the amp? that will let you put the mots power to your subs.
if you have your sub mounted up, try and see if you can turn the whole sub (and box) upside down.
its actually not bridged (i feel theres no need for it) but tha amp is actually located below the driver's seat. i thought about the ideaof fliping the subs up-side down but they wouldnt fit. the box is only designed for the subs to "sit" inside the compartments underneath the backseat. And it's one whole box not 2 individual boxes

Originally Posted by kx250frider617
Yea I have a 2000w system 500rms to each of my two alpine 12" subs. And 1000w to all my speakers. I have a huge ported box replacing the rear seat. I literally vibrate change in my friends car across the street as in it's wayyy too loud. I am going to down grade to under the seats. I love all the bass but it isnt practical. your best bet is to go with my idea on making an enclosure. Look in the thread called sub options on page 2 or 3. I typed out my idea.
dang so technically youre whole extended cab is a bass box? thats insane!

Old 10-07-2008, 06:37 AM
bryan21178

I went with 2 10 they are called Image Dynamics do a serch on then they sound like 12s under my back seat....

Old 10-07-2008, 11:32 AM
guite_42

I have 2 MTX 10'' thunderforms in their pre-made box with the onboard amp under the backseat of my quadcab. Sounds really good, they put out quite a bit of bass without over doing it.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Tonyo88
Professional

I have two 10" Cerwin Vega's in a box just sitting on my back seat haha. They have quick disconnect wires on them, so If I ever need the back seat, it's a matter of seconds to pull the box out. My amp sits under the rear seat on the driver's side. Works well enough for me, they pack a pretty good punch. I just need to get an aftermarket head unit so that I can have the proper sub out controls.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:42 PM
dallas_cowboy

Originally Posted by Tonyo88
I have two 10" Cerwin Vega's in a box just sitting on my back seat haha. They have quick disconnect wires on them, so If I ever need the back seat, it's a matter of seconds to pull the box out. My amp sits under the rear seat on the driver's side. Works well enough for me, they pack a pretty good punch. I just need to get an aftermarket head unit so that I can have the proper sub out controls.
can you show me a pic of the quick disconnect wires. that actually worked for me...sitting the box on the back seat it just takes forever removing the setup if i need the backseat

Quick Reply: need help with amp/subs