3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Factory oil filter wont budge

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Traceis3
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory oil filter wont budge

any thoughts with out doin the famous screw driver through it It wont budge. I am no little guy either I have tried my oil filter wrench,socket and extension with cap and a claw like filter wrench that I got from sears and it wont turn It has 1300 mile just wanna change filter before I do an oil change at 3500

Thanks Eric

Old 10-09-2008, 02:55 PM
uspatriot
Professional

why would you change the filter before you do an oil change?

Old 10-09-2008, 03:16 PM
Traceis3
Rookie

here is a good answer to your dumb question. Filters trap and hold all sediment from the engine. Its a new vehicle and all metal shaving I can get out the better .I take it you know nothing on how a new engine works So like my mother says if ya aint got nothing smart to say keep your piewhole shut.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:34 PM
SHNOOL
Rookie
Default At the risk of also being flamed...

Wouldn't you drain your pan first... then do the screwdriver thing in the oil filter, remove the old filter (shavings and all), put new filter on, without metal shaving, hopefully not as tight ... then fill truck with new oil, and move on?

Now I am definitely not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. My mods are paid for via someone else's labor.

SHNOOL <-- knows he is not mechanically inclined.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Jeepis
Rookie

Originally Posted by Traceis3
here is a good answer to your dumb question. Filters trap and hold all sediment from the engine. Its a new vehicle and all metal shaving I can get out the better .I take it you know nothing on how a new engine works So like my mother says if ya aint got nothing smart to say keep your piewhole shut.
Easy there buddy. A simple question was asked there. Wow. If you want to replace the oil filter but hold off on changing the oil fine, that's your decision. My thinking is that if you're under there, it doesn't take much more effort to drain the oil as well, in fact, I'd recommend an oil and filter change after about the first thousand or two miles, but what do I know.

As for the oil filter not budging, I've heard that the factory can screw them on pretty tight.

Maybe try when the engine is cold? Warmed materials expand and perhaps that would cause it to be on there tighter. When cold, the materials are slightly contracted, so perhaps less tension on the threads.

I'm not sure, just a thought, I am also not a mechanic.

Last edited by Jeepis; 10-10-2008 at 02:36 PM. Reason: oontz
Old 10-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might try using a LARGE pair of channel locks. That's what I ended up using the first time I changed mine

Old 10-09-2008, 05:19 PM
oildrainer

Hello,
Factory filters are 1. installed by robots, 2. installed without oiling gasket.
I used to run 8 lube shops, the best way is with a band wrench placed on the seam of the filter, Use a big enough box end wrench to slip over handle of band wrench for leverage, this usually works but you will probably have to replace the band wrench after. If it doesn't then send it to dealer for warranty problem. Hope this helps & Good luck

Old 10-09-2008, 05:47 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Traceis3
any thoughts with out doin the famous screw driver through it It wont budge. I am no little guy either I have tried my oil filter wrench,socket and extension with cap and a claw like filter wrench that I got from sears and it wont turn It has 1300 mile just wanna change filter before I do an oil change at 3500

Thanks Eric
I had the same prob...spent hours trying to get it off. I thought about the screwdriver thing but if it shears and doesn't come off...well yea. I brought it to the dealer and told them to remove it since it was over torqued with no lube from the factory. They did it for free..

Old 10-09-2008, 06:43 PM
RailroadMan
Rookie

Why not let the dealer mess with the first oil change? If they break something, its on them.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:49 PM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Screwdriver through the filter is an absolute last resort, you can end up tearing the filter (and your hands) apart and still not get it out. Best way I've found to do it is let the engine cool and spray some TC-11 or WD-40 around the seal. Let it sit for about 15 minutes, then take a band wrench to it.

Quick Reply: Factory oil filter wont budge