3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

08 5.7 hemi with MDS questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 11:49 AM
Got_Mitch
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 08 5.7 hemi with MDS questions

Just wondering if theres a sure way of knowing when your engine is using the MDS settings. I would have thought there would have been a cluster icon saying its on.

and when does it activate. in reality, not on a brochure. Will MDS be on over 70 mph? how high in RPM's will it stay on for, and how "easy" do i have to be on the pedal, off the start to really get the benefit of having this engine?

and finally, is there a chip out there that takes advantage of the MDS engine?

thanks guys

Old 10-12-2008, 12:44 PM
sos
All Star

There have been many questions on this.

1) There is no built-in way of telling when MDS is on, but someone posted instructions in the DIY section on how they made one.

2) In the generic 2008 Dodge Ram brochure, it says "Operating silently and seamlessly above 18mph (and in all gears but reverse), MDS transforms the powerful and durable HEMI V8 into a gas-sipping four-cylinder during many driving situations - including while cruising at highway speeds, during low-throttle coasting, and even while climbing low hills." If you are constantly crushing the pedal to the floor it won't activate. It pretty much comes on only when you are maintaining a constant pressure on the throttle and keeping a constant speed. Most people never notice when MDS is on, except for those that put an aftermarket exhaust on.

3) I don't have an answer to this other than what I've heard - some chips actually have the ability to shut off MDS, but I don't think they would make MDS work "better."

Old 10-12-2008, 02:44 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Install an LED indicator, even though I have a non-MDS '04, I did a simple DIY for it in that section. Many guys have PM'd me they have since installed one...

Old 10-12-2008, 06:07 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Got_Mitch
Just wondering if theres a sure way of knowing when your engine is using the MDS settings. I would have thought there would have been a cluster icon saying its on.

and when does it activate. in reality, not on a brochure. Will MDS be on over 70 mph? how high in RPM's will it stay on for, and how "easy" do i have to be on the pedal, off the start to really get the benefit of having this engine?

and finally, is there a chip out there that takes advantage of the MDS engine?

thanks guys
In the real world, it depends on your truck (quad cab, mega cab, 4x2, 4x4, 3.55's, 3.92's) and the enviroment. If you have a strong headwind and a heavy model truck you won't see 70 in MDS...tailwind on a flat road you'll see 70+. My reg cab 2wd with a 3.55 rear easily cruises at 75 in MDS...but again enviroment still plays a huge role.

Throttle position and engine load are the main requirements to stay under for MDS...not RPMs or speed. Most of the time when accelerating from a stop you won't be in MDS if you plan on keeping up with traffic...unless you're realllly slow. The 18 mph thing isn't correct...my MDS kicks on all the time in parking lots and i'm not going anywhere near 18 mph. Just going by feel and what i've read on this forum, the throttle limit seems to be between 15-20%.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Got_Mitch
Professional

k perfect, thanks for info. im running stock intake and exhaust so ive been finding it hard to hear a difference, but some times i think i can feel is going on and off, with hills ect ect. not 100% sure though,

all n all it would be nice to have something on the cluster stating MDS is on.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:02 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Got_Mitch
k perfect, thanks for info. im running stock intake and exhaust so ive been finding it hard to hear a difference, but some times i think i can feel is going on and off, with hills ect ect. not 100% sure though,

all n all it would be nice to have something on the cluster stating MDS is on.
Yea the 09's have that new feature....but like hammer said there's a do-it-yourself install where you can rig a light to come on when in MDS.

Quick Reply: 08 5.7 hemi with MDS questions