3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rust

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 06:24 PM
irelandshemi
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rust

so i was just standing by my truck and noticed some little rust spots that almost seem to be raised out of the paint, like little dots, and then next to that theres a little like dime size mark were the paint is bubbled up, is there anything i can do to stop the rust from spreading, and stop that bubble from getting any bigger. thanks

Old 10-12-2008, 07:19 PM
RAM_05
Rookie

If they are small enough you could just sand them off and hit them with some touch up paint. But if they are on the larger side it may be off a little.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:09 PM
irelandshemi
All Star

i dont mind so much it being off but i just dont want it to spread, so would i sand that paint bubble off and then touch it up

Old 10-13-2008, 01:32 AM
Ben D.
Champion

on the little rust spots try a claybar. sometimes they arn't so much rust as metal particles embedded in the paint that then rusted but are in reality just sitting on top of the paint. ie. rail dust on newer cars. but for teh bubble... take it to a body shop see what they say. better to fork out maybe a few hundred on a repair now than a few thousand later when it spreads.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:51 PM
irelandshemi
All Star

mm ill try the claybar, and then when i get time take it to my friends shop

Old 10-13-2008, 09:03 PM
RAM_05
Rookie

I would just take it to your friend's shop. If it started as a rust spot and and is now beginning to bubble I just don't see how a clay bar is going to help.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:01 PM
Ben D.
Champion

metallic particles can become imbedded in the paint that normal washing will not remove. these are just plain old metal not painted and such and will rust obvioulsy. this will make certain odd brown dots on the paint like the OP described. at first glance it freaks you out because you think rust but in reality it is just a metallic particle stuck on top of the paint and a claybar will remove all contaminants on the paint and if that is what is going on with the OP's vehicle then it should remove the brown dots. if it acutally is the paint rusting then no.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:44 AM
RAM_05
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ben D.
metallic particles can become imbedded in the paint that normal washing will not remove. these are just plain old metal not painted and such and will rust obvioulsy. this will make certain odd brown dots on the paint like the OP described. at first glance it freaks you out because you think rust but in reality it is just a metallic particle stuck on top of the paint and a claybar will remove all contaminants on the paint and if that is what is going on with the OP's vehicle then it should remove the brown dots. if it acutally is the paint rusting then no.
I guess I should have been a little more clear. I understand what you meant, but the way he describes them it makes me think that they were rust spots and are now bubbling under the paint.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:20 PM
irelandshemi
All Star

i guess im gunna have to, yeah the little rust spots are brown almost dots with an almost oily look around them (that rainbow color) and when you run your finger over them they stick out but dont in between them

Quick Reply: rust