3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front end high pitched squeek

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 11:18 PM
Geed
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end high pitched squeek

My 3 week old '08 1500 QC Hemi has developed a squeek coming from the front end when driving down the road. It's a high pitched squeek that happens when the truck bounces up and down over small bumps in the road. If I bounce the truck while standing next to the driver's front tire I can hear it is definitley coming from the wheel well area - kind of hard to bounce it and put my head right in the wheel well so I cannot be 100% sure where it's coming from. At least one time it sounded like the squeek was coming from both sides although if I bounce the pass. side I cannot get it to make the noise.

I had a ReadyLift leveling kit installed on a Weds, then had the truck aligned on a Friday, then I noticed the squeek begin on the next day (Sat). My question: could something have been done during an alignment which could have started this very annoying squeek? Or can the leveling kit be the culprit?

I was hoping that it would just go away on it's own but it's been over a week now and it is still there. Before I bring the truck back to the dealer (who did the alignement) I wanted to get some input from you guys. It's just not normal to see a nice new shiny truck come squeeking down the road. Trust me.... it's very annoying or else I would just ignore it.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:11 PM
Geed
Rookie

Just an update...

Had the wife bounce the truck tonight while I stuck my head in the wheel well. Sounds like the squeek is coming from the upper control arm bushings (but not 100% sure - it's very hard to pinpoint the origin!). I sprayed some WD40 on the bushings so I'll see what it sounds like in the morning.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:21 AM
Geed
Rookie

aaaahhhh.... the squeeking is still there this morning. If anything it actually sounds a little worse. Just wondering if anyone else out there that has a ReadyLift leveling kit ever had a squeeking problem? I can't see why putting spacers on the top of the shock/coil could cause a high pitched squeek like this but there is nothing else I've had done in the front end besides a wheel alignment.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:12 AM
53fireman
Rookie

Sounds like the same squeek mine has had for a year now. My '08 is still squeeking like crazy if I hit un-even bumps, like potholes or sewer covers. The only thing I've done to it was put on Westin step bars. I took it back 3 times to the dealer to no avail. Any suggestions out there?

Old 12-10-2009, 08:03 PM
Kebo
Professional

Yep, mine has had that squeek since I bought it in '07. Mine is coming from the passenger wheel well. And like you I suspect the upper control arm. The only thing that can be done is to replace the control arm bushings and make sure that they are greased before installing them.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:59 PM
DodgeThunder
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the exact same squeek in mine after I installed the leveling kit, the shop said it was the upper strut mounts, so I bought new ones at 80 dollars a pop, then I decided the leveling kits are garbage and didnt like the clunking that it also did going over bumps, took the level out and everything is back to normal, no clunk or squeek, I dunno if you guys have leveling kits, but these newer strut suspensions seem to be a little iffy.. It might not be the same thing with you guys but I found that if I sprayed white lithium greese into the hole in the top of the strut tower mount in the middle the squeek would go away for a few days.. try it out

Quick Reply: Front end high pitched squeek